1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tigers and Lions in India

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Carter00, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Carter00

Carter00 New Member

Hi folks,

Have you been to any national park or tiger reserve in India recently where you got to see tiger or lions? I am considering visiting Kanha national park soon but I have doubts if I will be able to see tigers there or not?

Can you please share your experience from recent visit? What are the other requirements of visiting any national park in India and what would be the cost of taking a tour with a good guide?

2. Aadi

Aadi Member

I have been to Kanha National Park in October 2014 and it was not very difficult to spot tigers, deep, python and many other wild animals. I have seen one of the most dominant tiger "Munna" in Kanha national park and it made my trip worth. Our driver Varun was very knowledgeable and he was aware of all animals, birds and reptiles of Kanha national park so we didn't hire a guide and it was not at all required too.

There are no special requirements to visit any national park in India, just use your common sense and do not step out of your vehicle, that's it.

Cost of the jeep in Kanha national park is INR. 1800 (for 6 people max) and after that you have to select the zone which you want to visit, I picked up premium zone for which we paid 1850 rupees extra. As you are a foreigner so in your case it would be INR. 1800 for jeep and INR. 3650 for premium zone, which will be shared by 4-6 people so per head cost comes around (1800+3650=5450 for 6 people) (INR. 5450/6 people=908 per head).

If you have any doubt or confusion in the calculation, then please shout back and I will explain it to you in detail.

3. Charandeep

Charandeep New Member

Where is this Kanha National Park? I haven't heard about it before.

4. Travel Freak

Travel Freak New Member

Kanha National Park is in Madhya Pradesh and it is the largest national park in the state.

5. sumit

sumit New Member

Other than Kanha you can also visit Ranthambore Tiger reserve where you can see tigers at their natural habitat. Other than this you can easily get safari permits. Please note all the national park will be closed from July 1 to Sept 30.

Chahal likes this.
  6. Charandeep

Charandeep New Member

Why are they closed from July 1st to Sept 30th?

7. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It is closed due to monsoon. Too much rain and mud and mess makes it difficult to ply battery operated vehicles.

8. sumit

sumit New Member

Due to heavy rainfall , roads get washed out difficult to ply the vehicle

9. Gill

Gill New Member

10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

This looks exciting particularly when you mentioned the jeep. That means the wild animals are roaming free in the park and the people are the ones in a cage, huh. I understand that a safari like is quite expensive because the overhead expenses of the park is great. Imagine, just feeding those animals would cost them a fortune already. We also have that here in the Zoobic park. And we took that jeep ride for almost the same amount you charge there. But we bought some chicken meat that the tour guide fed the lion and the tigers. Yes, there was only 1 lion and several tigers but in different locale, they are separated by cyclone wire fence.

11. moondebi

moondebi New Member

Karnataka is the tiger state of India, and I have seen most of the national parks here as I stay in this part of the country.

Tigers are not in a good condition in most of the national parks of the country. The habitats are not as good as to fit for a wild to sustain. So, you will find them lazing or yawning barring that agility, which is their common trait.

In Karnataka, the situation is little different. Tigers are worth to watch in most of the places, be it in national parks, reserve forests, or captivity.

For tiger lovers, Karnataka is an ideal destination to enjoy those majestic movements of this big cat.

12. Codygr89

Codygr89 New Member

You've been to both places? I hear the Bangalore Aquarium is a good one is that true ?

13. moondebi

moondebi New Member

I liked Bangalore Aquarium, as I have not seen any other aquarium of the world. You may or may not like it, which depends upon your expectations.

14. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Bangalore Aquarium is just amazing. If you are an aquatic animal lover this is for you. You can watch rare fishes like eels, angel fish, tiger balm and many more. Children will certainly love it.

Bangalore Aquarium, located in the Cubbon park, is the largest in Bangalore. This diamond shaped building has three floors and tanks have been spread in these floors. When I visited with my family we really enjoyed it and it was an unforgettable experience for kids too. I think the timing is from 1030 hours to 1730 hours. It remain closed on Mondays and 2nd Tuesdays of every month.

15. DarkStarling

DarkStarling New Member

I have had the pleasure of being there, and even though I don't know that much about aquatic life it was still an amazing experience. I almost didn't get to see it, since my friends wanted to go somewhere else, but we ended up there anyways because that place was closed.

16. Daniel

Daniel New Member

I would recommend going to Pench Tiger Reserve, Madhya Pradesh/ Maharashtra borders, staying there for at least 2 days will cost you about 200-500 rupees , they have also 2 elephants, but you will just need to pay the minibus, guide charges. However, if you prefer, you can hire your own Jeep that travels at petrol, this really depends on your budget and preference. But overall its not too expensive compared to other places. The park is open from 1st November to June only, they say the best time to visit is March to June.

17. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Pench Tiger Reserve is an excellent choice. The Park is well known for fearless, majestic tigers and also a home for a large number of mammals, reptiles, amphibians and birds. In addition to tiger, you can also watch cheetah, sambar, nilagai, wild pig, leopard, hyena, wolf and a lot more varieties there.

The park also offers a thrilling nights safari for adventurous tourists. A view of the jungle life at night would be really thrilling and you can see a lot night predators.

We have another thread in this forum where this part is discussed in detail. The link is given below for your reference :
    Night Safari in Pench National Park

18. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Wow this is excellent. Is the park open year round? What would be the best time to visit? Would we be able to see the tigers and lions in their natural surrounding? I hope they don\'t have them caged up. I was thinking of a place that might be similar to the Wild Animal Park in San Diego. Here the animals live like they would in the wild. They have a special bus that take you around the park and you can see the animals and how they would live in nature.

19. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have not been to this national park, however, I know that India is one of the best places on earth to watch tigers and lions in their natural habitat.