1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to visit in Chennai

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Zayn, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Zayn

Zayn New Member

I am going to Tamil Nadu and will be in Chennai staying there for around 5 days, but it's not certain to the number of days I will be there.

I would like to get some assistance in finding out what the best place to visit in Chennai is. It's a big city and when your new to a city and don't know anything about its best not to risk it and get advice, hence I have joined the forum.

2. Deven

Deven Member

There are a couple of places which are considered to be the best in Chennai and like you have mentioned that you have around 5 days there, I will suggest a couple of places which you can visit during your stay there.

Chennai is famous for its beaches and you should make sure that you visit at least one of the following beaches.

• Marina Beach - India's largest beach and is known for being the best beaches in Chennai
    • Elliots Beach - The beach has been renamed as Besant Nagar Beach and it is a less crowded beach than Marina Beach

Apart from the beaches, there are many religious places to visit.

• Kapaleeshwar Temple - The temple is dedicated to Lord Shiva and Karpagambal. The temple is famous for its architectural work
    • Fort St George - The hotel dates back to the British rule and there is also a St George Museum joining the church
    • Sri Parthasarathy Temple - This is one of the oldest temples in Chennai and is dedicated to Lord Krishna

Other places to see are:

• Connemara Public Library - This is the oldest library in Asia and holds over 600,000 books
    • Dakshina Chitra - This is the place where you will find out the history of South India. You will be able to see how people lived and what they did.