1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Season to Visit Jim Corbett

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Wanderlust, May 29, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Well, Jim Corbett National Park needs no introduction. I am sure it's on every wildlife lover's list of 'must-visit' places in India. I am always fascinated by wildlife. The sheer joy of watching wild animals in their natural habitat is second to none.

To be frank, till now my experience of watching wildlife is limited to just Animal Planet and National Geographic channels. But some of the wildlife related travel guides and travelogues posted here on the forum made me really interested to visit a wildlife sanctuary for real. And what could be better than the famed Corbett National Park to begin my date with wildlife!

So I would like to request the wildlife lovers and experts out there to let me know the best time to visit the national parks and wildlife reserves in India. To be specific, I would like to know what is the best season to plan my trip to Jim Corbett National Park? I want to visit Corbett during the season which is known to offer the best climatic conditions for wildlife sightings.

Debapriya Deb likes this.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

I must say that you could not have chosen a better place to begin your adventure with wildlife.

Jim Corbett National Park is spread across a huge area of 1318 square kilometers. The park is divided into six zones, each having its own unique topography and distinct climate conditions. As such the visiting season differs from one zone to another.

Dhikala zone is the most sought after tourism zone in Corbett National Park. It is the Dhikala zone that reports the maximum number of animal sightings during any tourist season. This zone is open to visitors only for 7 months every year - from 15th November to 15th June. The monsoon season in July-August is followed by the yearly calving period during which the park remains closed for the tourists. The best season to visit Dhikala zone is the winter season, from November till February.

Bijrani Zone is the second most popular zone in Corbett National Park. It remains open to tourists between 1st October and 30th June. Again, the winter season is the best time to plan your trip.

Jhirna Zone is open to public throughout the year. Dhela zone is the other section that can be visited around the year. Sonanadi zone is open for almost the entire year, except for the calving season during August-September. However for the best chance of animal sighting, the winter season is the recommended time to plan your visit.

The sixth and the last zone, Durga Devi Zone follows the same schedule as the Dhikala Zone, i.e., from 15th November to 15th June.

To sum things up, November to February is the best season to visit Jim Corbett National Park. All the six zones remain functional during this period, thus providing you the best possible wildlife exposure. Winter is the time when the animals come out under the sunshine to ward off the cold, so you stand a far better chance of animal sightings if you plan your Jim Corbett trip in the winter season.

Regards,
    Deb

3. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

In personal experience, if you want to visit a place with less crowds and people bumping into you, your best bet is to visit OUTSIDE holidays or weekends, as these places are usually packed in those days. Maybe go during weekday mornings, especially non-holidays, so you can have as much of the place as you want, with the least amount of visitors on the vicinity. It's a great time to appreciate the place, and not just fall in line or get into crowded areas while you are trying to see the magnificent attractions in the area.

4. Kritika

Kritika New Member

Hi there!!!!!!!!
    The best season to visit Jim Corbett National Park or any other National Park is from Fall winter that is from November to fall monsoon that is June. It is because in monsoon there will be no riding track or roads inside the parks for driving or having safari ride through that park. So winter and Summer season is the ideal time for exploring Jim Corbett Park and for sightseeing purposes also. So you have wait till November and Have a great time with wild animals and natural beauty.