1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best season to visit Kerala

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by OSJigs, Oct 9, 2016.

1. OSJigs

OSJigs New Member

Monsoons are nearly over, and I think it is a good time to go on holiday some place. I am aware of the weather of the destinations in North India, but not in the other parts of India.

One of the destinations on my visit places list is Kerala which I hope to visit within a year. I still have two seasons to visit and would like to know what the best season to visit Kerala is. Please note that I would visit to go to the backwaters, so some activities, a lot of walking and sightseeing.

2. djtravels

djtravels Member

Now would be a good time to visit. I mean right after the monsoon is the best time to visit because that's when the temperatures have dropped, everything has become even more beautiful and your activities won't be hampered by incessant monsoon rain or the scorching summer sun. Also all those traditional resorts offer more services after August, so in that sense also fall and winter are the best seasons.

briannagodess likes this.

3. Jessica_91

Jessica_91 Member

October in Kerala backwaters is still pretty hot and humid for my own liking. I have been to Kerala many times and stayed long duration and best time to visit Kerala in my opinion is between Late November through to February, rest of the year is humid and you would get too many insects for comfort.

4. vkar

vkar Member

I agree with @Jessica_91. Personally, I think December to February is a great time to visit Kerala. I have experienced Kerala during various seasons, in April, August, January etc.. I think Dec - Feb is the best time as almost every other time it's either too hot and humid or too rainy.

5. Blue Betta

Blue Betta New Member

February, in my opinion, is kind of pushing it a bit. I was there in February to April, and the humidity was really bad. I would say September at the earliest, to December or January at the latest. That way you avoid the pre-monsoon weather, and most of the rainy season, and get the best weather. It's always nice and warm, and there are always flowers, so every season is beautiful in its own way, but if you're not used to the combination of heat and humidity that you get in the south, fall is a good time to visit.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Generally, there are three seasons in Kerala, namely: the winter season, the monsoon season (divided into two parts) and the summer season. Kerala mainly has a wet tropical climate and receives rainfall pretty much six to seven months in a year. Apart from the highlands or higher altitude areas, Kerala has quite humid and warm climate almost all-year round. Here's a breakdown of the different seasons in Kerala:

Different Seasons in Kerala

SeasonTemperaturesBest Places to Visit in KeralaThings to do
    Winter Season (Middle of December to February)17°C to 28°C in the lower altitude areas and 8°C to 11°C in the higher altitude areas like hill stationsAlleppey, Thekkady and KovalamSightseeing and backwater tours
    Summer Season (March to May)33°C to 37°C, higher altitude areas are a bit cooler at 22°C to 30°CWayanad and MunnarWildlife tours
    Southwest Monsoon Season (June to September)25°C to 34°C, with a slight variation in higher altitude areas, plus moderate to heavy rainsMattupetty, Kumarakom and BekalBackwater tours and sightseeing
    Northeast Monsoon Season (October to November, until middle of December sometimes)23°C to 33°C, with a slight variation in higher altitude areas, plus light to moderate rains accompanied by thunder and lightningAthirapally, Ashtamudi and IdukkiBackwater tours and nature trails

Here are further descriptions on the different seasons of Kerala:

1. Winter Season - This is from the middle of December until the last quarter of February. Temperatures during this time range between 17°C to 28°C. Night time temperatures can be lower at 14°C to 20°C. On the other hand, the higher altitude areas like Wayanad and Munnar have lower temperatures ranging between 8°C to 11°C. This is the best season for sightseeing as the climate is pleasant enough for sightseeing and plantation tours. Backwater tours are also recommended during this time as it is less humid and warm as compared to the other seasons. The coldest months in this season are from the end of December until January. Make sure you bring light cotton jackets in case the night becomes too chilly for you. You can also visit the beaches of Alleppey and Kovalam during this season as the climate would allow you to enjoy strolling around their sandy shores.

2. Summer Season - This season is from March to May. Temperatures range between 33°C to 37°C in the lowlands and between 22°C to 30°C in the highlands. If you'd like to escape the heat of the city plains, then do consider visiting the hill stations of Wayanad and Munnar. This is also the best season for visiting the wildlife sanctuaries and national parks in Kerala like the Periyar National Park, Eravikulam National Park and Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary. Do bring enough water to hydrate you though especially if you visit these national parks and wildlife sanctuaries. Wear light cotton clothes as well so you can remain cooler. By the end of May, it's also not unusual to experience light to moderate rains in the region so bring an umbrella if visiting during this time.

3. Southwest Monsoon Season - This is between June to September. The region receives moderate to heavy rainfalls during this time. Temperatures remain quite warm and humid at 25°C to 34°C though. Kerala receives one of the highest rainfalls in the country and it is the first place to be hit by the monsoon season. Despite this, it's still a good season to visit Kerala as the entire region turns into a lush blanket of greenery. Hotel rates are also significantly lower during this time so you can avail of great discounts. It is also believed that Ayurvedic treatments are best done during this season as the pores open up and absorb the oils and herbs more. Sightseeing might not be as plausible though especially when the region is being attacked by rains.

4. Northeast Monsoon Season - This season is from October to the middle of December. It is characterised by heavy and intermittent rainfalls accompanied by lightning and thunder. Temperatures remain almost the same though at 23°C to 33°C. During the days when rains are absent, you can explore the different regions of Kerala like Idukki and Ashtamudi. These regions have abundant natural attractions like waterfalls and lakes which are best visited after the southwest monsoon season. You can also visit the wildlife sanctuaries and forests around Kerala during this time although chances of spotting animals might be lower. You can just adore the wonderful greenery at these sites.

As you have noticed, the different seasons of Kerala has something to offer for travellers. Whether you're visiting during the winter, summer or monsoon, Kerala's beauty would mesmerise you. But of course, when it comes to indulging in activities and sightseeing tours, the best season for that would be winter. With the very pleasant climate, you would be able to visit all the attractions you've been meaning to visit. Summer season is best for hill stations as the climates here remain pleasant even during this time. And lastly, the monsoon season is best fit for those who are in a budget and loves the rain.

I hope this helps you!:)