1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best season to visit Goa

Discussion in 'Goa' started by MM25, Aug 16, 2016.

1. MM25

MM25 New Member

I have been longing to take my wife to Goa, as it is a place we have wanted to go since the day we got married but have just missed out on the opportunity.

I have been browsing the forum, and it seems like there are times when one should not visit Goa, due to the monsoon some water sports can not be done.
    I am from Delhi, and the weather is totally opposite from Goa, so I want to know what the best season to visit Goa is so I have an open idea of the months when I can book tickets.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there and welcome to the forum!

There are three seasons in Goa namely, the summer season, the monsoon season and the winter season. Each season offers something different for tourists. Like you said, the monsoon season sees less activities but that doesn't mean that it's not a good time to visit the region. It all comes down to personal preference when it comes to the best season to visit Goa. So here's a little breakdown of the seasons in Goa:

1. Summer Season - This season is from the months of March to May. Temperatures during the month of March range between 26.5°C to 33°C during day time and about 21°C to 23°C during night time. The months of April to May have a surge of higher temperature that can sometimes reach as high as 45°C. Because of the humidity and the heat, not a lot of tourists visit Goa during these months. Rates for hotels and flights are cheaper during the summer season as well so you can save some money. Beaches are not crowded and you can still enjoy them even in summer, just go during the early mornings and early evenings. There are also many water sports that you can do during this time like parasailing and paragliding. Also, most bazaars and restaurants also have off-peak rates.
    • Things to do: Sightseeing, shopping, water sports and lazing in the beaches.
    • What to bring: Umbrella and sun essentials like sunscreen, sunblock and hat.
    • What to expect: Low rates for hotels and flights.

2. Monsoon Season - The monsoon season extends from the middle of June up to October. The temperatures during these months range between 26°C to 39°C. It's also very hot and humid during these months. The nights can be a bit cooler due to the rain showers and winds. Rain showers are not unusual as well during these months. There are no water sports available during this time though. Parties are also quite few, if you're into that. Because of the monsoons, the waters of the seas are too choppy for swimming. This is also one of the off-peak seasons in Goa. You won't find crowds of tourists in many of the beaches or attractions. It's the best time for visiting the popular beaches of Baga and Calangute as most of the beach shacks are open. Unlike the peak season, you won't find as much crowds in these beaches during this time. The beaches of Anjuna and Vagator are also good choices. Another good thing about this season is that paddies and vegetations are lush and green. You can also visit the Dudhsagar Waterfalls by the end of October, as it is fed by the monsoon rains and it's more stunning by then.
    • Things to do: Lazing on the beach, enjoying the lush vegetation and visiting the Dudhsagar Waterfalls.
    • What to bring: Umbrella, jacket, caps and boots/shoes for trekking.
    • What to expect: Low rates for hotels and flights as well as restaurants.

3. Winter Season - The winter season is from October to February. Temperatures range between 16°C to 30°C, the months of December and January are the coldest. The cooler climate witnesses a surge of tourists from all around the country and the world. It's considered the peak season of Goa and you do need to book your hotel in advance. Rates are higher as well so you'd have to pay more. However, all water sports are available by this time and the same goes for restaurants and bars. Christmas and New Year experience the most number of visitors. The downside is that it's very crowded and you won't have much alone time with your loved one. You can go to more secluded beaches like the Butterfly Beach, Colva Beach and Betul Beach though if you'd like. During these months, Goa is very much alive and energetic. If you love the night life, then it's also the perfect season to visit Goa.
    • Things to do: Swimming, water sports, partying, sightseeing, exploring offbeat beaches and shopping.
    • What to bring: Swimming essentials and light clothes.
    • What to expect: Higher rates for hotels and flights. Beaches might be more crowded by this time too.

I hope this helps.:)