1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to visit Darjeeling

Discussion in 'East India' started by ChippScott, Nov 28, 2014.

1. ChippScott

ChippScott New Member

Hi all

I am from Scotland and this is my second trip to India. Last time I was in Darjeeling for 2 days and this time I am planning to visit Darjeeling in mid march for at least 2 weeks, is it the right time to visit Darjeeling?

I would really love to know experiences of people who are living there or who know how it is in March

2. Somu

Somu New Member

A missed thread, but for future reference posting a reply.
    Mid March is quite cold and temperatures are between 4 to 7 degrees, which is very cold. If you prefer the cold weather then you can say it is right time, but if you are looking for more pleasant weather then best time to visit is June or July.

3. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

People generally visit Darjeeling during April to June or October to December.

4. Nik

Nik New Member

I went to Darjeeling in June and the weather during this month is fantastic, it is neither too cold or too hot and it is a beautiful time to see the beauty of the place.

5. AlapanB

AlapanB Member

I would suggest mid-December or early January. It gets very cold up here, often reaching the freezing point, but I think it is the best time for a tourist to visit. Not a lot of people are around at this time of year, so you can essentially avoid the whole overcrowded atmosphere and can enjoy the natural beauty of the place to your heart's content. Also, since the sky is very clear in these months, you can fully enjoy the sunrise on Kanchenzongha, which is why thousands of people visit Darjeeling every year. And believe me, it's worth it!

Admin likes this.
  6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You couldn't have picked a better time to visit Darjeeling. From March to April, this is considered as the spring season in Darjeeling and it's one of the best seasons to visit the place. The best thing about this season? You could see flowers blooming and the entire region is filled with colour. Temperature during this season varies but it's usually between 6°C to 17°C. It's mild and pleasant, the perfect time for sightseeing. It's also the perfect time for trekking and hiking, if you love those activities. This is peak season as well so I hope you have booked a hotel well in advance.

From the months of May to July, this is the summer season in Darjeeling. It's also a good time to visit during these months. Temperatures range between 11°C to 20°C. It's not that bad and the climate is bearable still. However, by June, monsoon season is starting and tourists start leaving the region.

Now comes the monsoon season, from July to August. Rains can be quite brutal here and you'll find that rain persists for a few days. Fogs, mists and landslides aren't uncommon. At this time, the famous Kanchenjunga Peak can hardly be seen. However, since not many tourists visit during this season, expect hotel rates to be very low. If you do like the rain, then you can still enjoy Darjeeling during this time. You can also go and visit indoor attractions like museums and monasteries.

The next season would be the autumn, which is from September to November. Although very short, this is another perfect time to visit Darjeeling. In fact, by October, expect tourists to start flocking to the region. Since it's after monsoon season, everything is quite lush and green. Temperatures vary as well but range between 6°C and 17°C.

Last would be the winter season, which is from December to February. During January, expect the temperatures to drop as low as 0°C. If you don't like the cold, it's best to avoid Darjeeling during this time. However, if you do like the cold, then it's the perfect time for you to visit the region. Snow does occur as well but it's hard to predict when.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.