1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camel Milk

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Andrew, Jan 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Andrew

Andrew New Member

I have heard that camel’s milk is very popular in India and the Middle East. It is said that some people travel for days in search of camel milk. They bring a cooler with them to take it back home. Is this true in India? Do you drink camel’s milk?

2. Peter

Peter New Member

Yes, I have heard in the Mid East they drink camel’s milk. I’m not sure if this practice is done in India or not. This could prove to be interesting and different to taste camel’s milk.

3. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I am not sure if camel milk is popular in India, however, in Middle East camel is the main source of milk. In India, water buffalo, cow and goat are popular milk animals.

4. Travis

Travis New Member

I’m not sure if I would drink camel milk or not. I don’t really care that much for milk nowadays. I had no idea that people in India drank water buffalo milk.

5. Daira

Daira New Member

While I love Indian food, I'm not sure I can get on board with drinking camel milk. I have an issue with animal-based products that are out of the norm for me.

6. Ted

Ted New Member

I really love both Indian and Middle Eastern cuisines, but I really don't think that I could drink camel milk. I tried goat milk once and couldn't stand the taste.

7. Daphne

Daphne New Member

Oh I love goat milk, Ted. I love dairy in all its shapes and forms :) I have never tasted camel milk, but I think I would want to give it a try.

8. Laeticia

Laeticia New Member

I love almost every kind of dairy product there is, but for some reason, I really can't drink milk. I have only tried cow milk and I don't like it. I wonder if camel milk is very different.

9. Neve

Neve New Member

I tried camel milk once when I went on vacation to Dubai. It is not so different from cow milk in my opinion. However, I don't remember what different health benefits it has.

10. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Camel milk threads is popular/available in parts of Rajasthan and Gujrat as those are the parts where Camels are found naturally.

11. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Camel milk is great. It is a lot better than horse milk, so I would recommend it to anyone who has a chance to try it. The neighboring farm actually had a camel for a while. It was recuperating from some mild surgery, and they milked it. I had a chance to taste, and thought it was delicious. I have also bought camel milk from Whole Foods, and was very pleased with it. A lot of people say it is sweeter than normal milk, but not really. fresh cow milk can be very sweet, too. The sweetness is common in fresh milk. It is also far richer and nutritious. We should be drinking camel milk and eating horse meat for a better diet.

12. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Can someone tell about some benefits of it? Is it more nutritious that other milk? Does it have a medical purpose or in beauty products? Is it more expensive? In Serbia Donkey milk is very expensive and it is considered to be very good for human health because it resembles the mother's milk the most. I was wondering whether this is the case with camel's milk as well. I had no idea that people drink it because I never had any closer encounters with camels and therefore I rarely think about it.

13. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Camel milk is more nutritious. It can be debated as to why, but generally it produces more and richer fat content. A lot of people say it is closer to how cow milk used to be before industrial farms focused on quantity over quality. Generally, even though it is a richer milk, it will not raise your cholesterol levels, because it is all good kinds of fat, with far more nutrients. It is sweeter, too, closer to horse milk. But it is very hard to find it pasteurized, so nearly impossible to get unless fresh.

14. samfad55

samfad55 New Member

Has much as i would love to taste different foods when i get to India i don't think i would taste a camel milk the thought of it is already making me sick but never say never i might taste and like it after all

15. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

It shouldn't make you feel sick. It is no different than milk out of a cow or a goat. But as I said, horse milk is actually the best in my opinion. Without it, the Mongolian people would not be able to survive. Mares milk is excellent, and actually has to be fermented before humans can digest it. But there are other strange milks as well. In Scandinavia, they use reindeer milk. I have never tried it, but would like to at some point.

16. arthnel

arthnel Member

I've never had came milk but in all honestly I would be willing try. From all reports it seems to be higher in protein quality and the taste could not be all that bad. I have had goats milk and I was a bit reluctant but it tastes amazingly rich and sweet. I'm a bit cheese fanatic so if camel milk turned to cheese I would be first in line.

17. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

A lot of people can be turned off by the subtle differences in taste of various milks, but it is easy to acclimate to them. It is just like water. You go somewhere different, and the water will be terrible, because it has different minerals, chemicals, whatever, but in a month, you get used to it and it becomes normal. Milk is the same way. Just try it, have it enough times, and you will not notice the difference. If anything, regular cow milk will taste off to you.

18. Dilof

Dilof New Member

Camel milk is actually the closest to human milk, so I'd definitely give it a try. It's got everything nutritionally that human milk does. It's really good for your immune system as well.

19. integrity101

integrity101 Member

I have taken goat milk plenty of times in India and have heard they have water buffalo milk in some parts of the country but camel milk...not yet. Camel milk is however a staple in Middle East and North African countries. I heard it can go for days without going sour.

20. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Yes, that is another of its benefits. Typically, spoiled milk can still have its uses, becoming buttermilk, but having a longer shelf life is still great, all things considered. I know it would never be the mainstream product, but it is still a gourmand ingredient that has its place for culinary cooking and the health conscious.

21. martinearletara

martinearletara New Member

Camel milk is more so a Middle Eastern tradition but I've actually had the pleasure of drinking it a few years back. I was on a missionary visit outside of Cairo, where it's pretty common. I'll say this... it taste sweeter than cow milk to me. Now that doesn't make it taste better than cow milk. But it doesn't taste bad at all.

22. Maja

Maja Member

I don't know if it's popular in India, but in Middle East, yes. I think that camel is their main source of milk as bovine is scarce there. I had a chance to taste camel milk because some of my office mates were Middle Eastern. It's a bit salty than most milk but I've heard that it has more nutritious value.

23. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I have read that they do drink camel's milk in the Middle East. But it can be quite expensive since it's five times more expensive than regular cow's milk. From what I've searched, it seems like India also has camel's milk in its goods. For some time, back in the ancient times, there was a mention of camel's milk in the Ayurveda as well. Then, there's also this company who sells camel's milk in India.

The benefits of drinking camel's milk are:

• It has 10 times more iron than regular cow's milk and has thrice the amount of Vitamin C as compared to other types of milk.
    • It resembles the human milk the most, compared to all other types of milk.
    • It is a rich source of insulin.
    • It has less allergens than cow's milk.
    • It has less fat and more protein.
    With regards to its use for medicinal purposes, studies are being conducted to prove if it can be helpful in people with autism. There are some studies that proved that camel's milk can help people with autism recover, as with the case of the girl with autism who drank camel's milk for 40 days and then her autism was gone. There were also cases of autistic people who have become calmer and more relaxed after drinking camel's milk.

I hope this helps!