1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chennai Central to Chennai Egmore

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by PrathamJain, Oct 26, 2016.

1. PrathamJain

PrathamJain New Member

My arrival will be at Chennai Central railway station on 6th of November, and from there I need to go to Chennai Egmore station.
    Now I am not from Chennai, so I don't know about the location or the places there, so I need others to help me.

I would like to know how far is Chennai Central to Chennai Egmore and how long it would take me for this journey during the day.
    I would also like to know if I can get an auto from Chennai Central to Chennai Egmore?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

The distance between Chennai Central Railway Station and Chennai Egmore Railway Station is about two kilometres. Walking this distance can take you around 25 minutes. By car, it takes a bit of a shorter time at around 10 to 15 minutes. Here are your transportation options from Chennai Central Railway Station to Chennai Egmore Railway Station:

1. By Suburban Train - Across the Chennai Central Railway Station, you can find the Chennai Park Railway Station. It is located on the Southern Line of the Chennai Suburban Railway. Board any train going to Tambaram or Chengalpattu. The next stop after Chennai Park Railway Station is Chennai Egmore Railway Station. There are trains every 20 to 30 minutes and journey duration is merely 2 to 5 minutes. Most trains also run everyday, except Sundays so do plan accordingly. There are a few trains though that run even during Sundays. Trains are unreserved though so you do have to buy a ticket in person once you reach the station. Here are some of the trains running this route from Chennai Park to Chennai Egmore, so you'd have an idea of their running times:

Train Timings from Chennai Park to Chennai Egmore

Train NumberDeparture Station - TimeArrival Station - TimeSchedule
    Train No. 40509Chennai Park - 6:02Chennai Egmore - 6:04Mondays to Saturdays
    Train No. 40511Chennai Park - 6:17Chennai Egmore - 6:19Mondays to Saturdays
    Train No. 40003Chennai Park - 6:27Chennai Egmore - 6:29Mondays to Saturdays
    Train No. 40513Chennai Park - 6:37Chennai Egmore - 6:39Mondays to Saturdays
    Train No. 40515Chennai Park - 6:52Chennai Egmore - 6:54Mondays to Saturdays
    Train No. 40517Chennai Park - 7:02Chennai Egmore - 7:04Mondays to Saturdays
    Train No. 40701Chennai Park - 7:12Chennai Egmore - 7:14All Days of the Week
    Train No. 40007Chennai Park - 7:29Chennai Egmore - 7:31Mondays to Saturdays

Trains are available as early as 4:00 and the last train departs from Chennai Park at about 23:37. Fare is very minimal too at Rs. 5. Although if you have some luggage with you, it can be quite difficult to walk and cross over to reach the station.

2. By Bus - If you don't have much luggage with you, you can also walk to reach the Chennai Central Bus Stand. It is located near the prepaid taxi and auto stand of Chennai Central. Here, you can ride a direct bus going to Chennai Egmore.

Buses Plying from Chennai Central to Chennai Egmore

Bus Type and NumberFrequencyStops Before Egmore
    Ordinary Bus No. 17D11 minutesNone
    Ordinary Bus No. 2811 minutesOne
    Ordinary Bus No. 28B17 minutesOne
    Ordinary Bus No. S17D18 minutesOne
    Ordinary Bus No. 17E18 minutesOne
    Ordinary Bus No. X17D28 minutesNone
    Deluxe Bus No. S2830 minutesOne
    Deluxe Bus No. S17E30 minutesOne

Fares are around Rs. 4 to Rs. 8, depending on the bus type. Journey duration is a bit longer though at about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on the bus frequency and traffic during that day.

3. By Prepaid Auto or Taxi - As mentioned above, there are also prepaid taxi and auto stands along the bus stand. Auto rickshaw fares cost around Rs. 50 to Rs. 70. A taxi costs slightly higher at Rs. 90 to Rs. 100. You can also opt for a shared auto which costs less than the auto rickshaw, maybe about Rs. 20 to Rs. 40.

I hope this helps you.:)