1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chennai's Round The Clock Nightclubs

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by barbara, Feb 25, 2016.

1. barbara

barbara New Member

I read in an article that Chennai is becoming the popular nightclub spot with bars and clubs open around the clock. Are the bars really crowded all night long or is it a good place to spend a night out with travel companions?

2. gerbera

gerbera New Member

Where is Chennai located? Are there other things to see in that city, tourist attractions or beaches? I also wonder if it is a young crowd that goes there or people of all ages?

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are no round the clock night clubs in Chennai. Law does not permit a night club to remain open after midnight. Some nightclubs do remain open well after midnight.

Stick to five star hotel's night clubs I would say.

Chennai is in the state of Tamil Nadu.

Plenty of things to do and see besides some lovely beaches but only go to Chennai in winters.

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I feel like this is one of the major signs that shows I'm getting older - I have zero desire to go to nightclubs these days!

I'd rather a cute restaurant or a nice little pub with a good atmosphere than I would a nightclub!

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

From what I've read, there's a law in Chennai restricting night clubs from operating all night long. Some do operate beyond midnight though but you'd have to find them a bit. Many are clubs and bars in hotels. Other clubs only allow couples inside the property. You'd also have to dress in proper attire to be able to enter the club, no super tight clothes or super short dresses are allowed. There's also a cover charge for some clubs especially on the weekends.

However, many clubs are very lively and entertaining. They are in no way comparable to Goa or Delhi but they do have their own charm. The reality is, it's kind of hard to maintain such clubs in Chennai. But a few have managed to stay operating and gives vibrancy to the night life in Chennai. Here they are:

Night Clubs in Chennai
    • Gatsby 2000. This is located in ITC Park in Sheraton. This is probably one of the most famous night clubs in Chennai. The famous DJs here are Rudy and Prashanth Amir who play electrifying music and set the mood every night. This place is packed almost every night as well. There's an entry fee of Rs. 2,000 to access the club.
    • Pasha. This is located in Nungambakkam. Best known for the trance, hip hop and even Bollywood hits played here. There's an entry fee of Rs. 500 and Rs. 2,000 for couples cover.
    • 10 Downing Street. You can find this at T. Nagar. They have a wide variety of drinks and cocktails. They are also known for their themed nights like Ladies Night and Karaoke Night.
    Live Music/Performances
    • Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan. You can find this in East Mada Street in Mylapore. There's great variety in shows here like live instrumental shows, cultural shows and even choirs.
    • Kalakshetra Foundation. This place is best known for their classical performances especially Bharatanatyam.
    Bars
    • The Moon and Sixpence. You can find this in the level one of Hablis Hotel. A great place for drinks, relaxing or just chatting with friends.
    • Small World - The Neighbourhood Bar. There's a variety of cuisines you can choose from here. Music is very laid-back as well, perfect for just chilling around.
    Some night clubs can be crowded, it depends on how popular they are. But you can opt for bars or lounges as alternatives as they provide a more laid-back feel and you can relax while having a drink or two.

Admin likes this.