1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Christmas in Kerala

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by nomad_sean, Dec 4, 2014.

1. nomad_sean

nomad_sean New Member

I will be in Kerala during Christmas days and want to celebrate my Christmas Eve there only. Any suggestion where to go and what to do, I don't want to pre-book and just taking inputs to decide what I want to do. All of your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Sorry for the super late reply, I hope this can help other members though. Kerala is one of the few states in India where Christians are in the majority. That's why Christmas is truly a festive season in Kerala. You could see churches beaming with lights and designs for Christmas. You could also see people gathering in these churches especially during Christmas Eve. Here's a few places worth visiting in Kerala during the Christmas season:

• Kochi. This has one of the largest numbers of churches in Kerala. You can visit the: St. Mary's Cathedral Basilica, Santa Cruz Cathedral and St. George Ferona Church. During Christmas season, these churches are designed colourfully and are very festive. The Kochi Carnival also happens during the last 10 days of the year.
    • Trivandrum. You can visit the LMS Compound and be awed by the amazing Christmas decorations setup here. There are also churches to visit here like the: St. Mary’s Cathedral, Madre de Deus Church and St. Joseph’s Cathedral.
    • Munnar. There's also tons of churches you can visit here: Munnar Mount Carmel Church, St. Thomas Church and St. Mary's Orthodox Church.
    • Kollam. Visit the festive churches here during Christmas season: Holy Cross Church, Infant Jesus Cathedral, St. Thomas Orthodox Church and St. Thomas Syrian Catholic Church. Another great tradition that fishermen do here is that they take their families into the sea during Christmas. It's their way of introducing the younger generation to the sea.
    I hope this helps!

P.S.

These are just festivities happening during the Christmas season in Kerala. You can still opt for a Houseboat Cruise or maybe their beaches. But if you truly want to experience Christmas in Kerala, then I suggest these places.