1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chutney

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Mindy, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Mindy

Mindy Member

I love chutney made Indian-style! Up until a few years ago, I had only tried a couple of different chutney varieties, and I didn't really care for them, to be honest. I guess I just didn't 'understand' them. However, since then, I've been introduced to a few delicious ones by an Indian friend. My personal favorite is made with garlic and red chili peppers. I has taken the place of Tabasco for me!

2. Drifter

Drifter New Member

Oh I adore a good chutney! I went through a phase of making as many different kinds as I could think up and giving them as gifts, they're so versatile that there's usually a flavour to suit even the pickiest eater.

3. Mindy

Mindy Member

It just took me a while to get used to the fruit and spicy mixtures of the first chutneys I had ever tried. Now I think it's just awesome!

4. Drifter

Drifter New Member

What do you most like to eat them with? I'm quite boring in that regard - although I'll eat pretty much any flavour combination, I tend to only put them onto poppadoms or plain crackers.

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yum! I'm a chutney fan here too. I think my favorite way here to use it is as a wrap condiment - I'll usually have some sort of protein, some salads, and then some chutney spread on a wrap - delicious and healthy! I like using it in place of other sauces or mayonnaise on foods here.

Lately my obsession has been mango chutney - it's AMAZING!

6. Jackie

Jackie Member

To be completely honest, I've never tried chutney before. I live in a small town and we don't have a wide variety of international cuisines at any of our grocery stores. This is one of the things I'm excited to try while we're on vacation!

7. Elaine

Elaine Member

I was also introduced to chutney by an Indian friend of mine. My all time favorite is mango chutney. I just love its taste and that amazing fragrance of the spice combination.

8. Rose @ Walnut Acre

Rose @ Walnut Acre New Member

I've never tried chutney before. It sounds like I need to remedy that situation :)

9. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I only tried Mango Chutney and I loved it. I have that thing about new stuff. I like to try and usually I let my self free of any prejudice about food. I tried it in a restaurant where we made and I was so happy to show it to my friends but I lack some ingredients so I went to a shop and bought a jar of this chutney. Apparently they make it in jars. I tried it and it was even better than the one in the restaurant. It was milder in contrasts. I asked my friends if they would like to try and they immediately had to look what is in there. They read and refuse to try. 'Sour, hot and sweet', they said,' that is not a normal combination'.

10. Mindy

Mindy Member

Mango chutney is pretty much the most popular, and one that is pretty easy to find in the US. However, I am not sure if mango chutney is native to India. India does have a lot of different varieties, however, and I'm on a quest to try more.

11. Rye

Rye New Member

Mango chutney is my favorite as well, my mother makes it with a little bit of a bite to it. I will put it on toast, meats like chicken or pork. I've tried other chutneys but mango is my favorite.

12. Teheura

Teheura New Member

Here on the islands I love making homemade chutney. I use papayas or mangos to make my chutney. I grow my own chilies here on the islands. I do add a lot of ginger to my chutney along with a lot of onions and garlic. I like my chutney extra hot and very spicy. Not everyone can eat the chutney I make. At times I need to only use black pepper corns in the chutney so others can eat it. There are a few people who find the hot spicy chutney I made delicious. I would love to try a few different varieties of chutney made from India.