1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cost of trekking in India

Discussion in 'Trekking and Mountaineering' started by reese111, Jan 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. reese111

reese111 New Member

I wanted to go for Chandrashila trek, but according to tour operator it will open after mid-March so he has suggested going for Dodital trek in Uttrakhand and I have been quoted $90 per day for a guide with meals and a tent house, which is way above my expectation and budget. I was expecting something between $40-45 only, is it possible to hire a guide and pay him on a daily basis and get the accommodation arranged separately? If it's not possible, then can you please suggest the reasonable cost of this trek and any reliable operator?

2. amitsharma1424

amitsharma1424 New Member

Just reach to nainital and relax there for 1-2days. Then look for local tour and travel companies or localites. You will find even cheaper arrangements than your expectations. Because commonly Ive seen companies promoting themselves online are very costlier than the local tour and travel companies of that area

Admin likes this.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I agree with the online cost escalation by companies. I fail to understand what is the motivation behind such high costs when they could have a lot more volume by pricing it reasonably on their websites and still make a lot more money.

4. amitsharma1424

Actually it depends on the type of package they have already created. Because they have arranged some servants to carry food rations, guides, fuel and things to prepare food, tents etc. But after meeting local travel companies, they can give better packages after reducing some cost according to comfort of trekker.. But its enjoyable to take one guide and carry all of the required luggage by the traveller if they are group.. Meggi is the best food to eat in long trekks... Easy to make in 2-5mins. Ofcourse online companies have more share of their profit thats why profit is very high

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I remember checking prices for trips to Milam online two years ago and then decided not to book anything and went to Munsiyari to find that the actual going rates are not even 1/3rd of whats quoted on the internet.

6. amitsharma1424

Yes you are correct... This is only what happens in reality

7. Nisha Sharma

Nisha Sharma New Member

Hi,
    You want to trek and mountaineering then the best place is Uttarakhand. There are many hotels in Uttarakhand you choose any best and budget hotels. They also give you accommodation for trekking and mountaineering. So you don't worry about that. But choose the best hotels in Uttarakhand.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I am interested in Meggi, this is the first time I have encountered that food. What is it made of and what kind of dish is it? To me, that $90 per day cost of a guide is fair enough since he will not only guide you but assist you particularly in carrying your things. When we toured the northern part of our country this summer, we went to an island that required us to rent a transportation cum tour guide. We got a motorized tricycle for $20 that covers everything including the driver. And I'd say it's worth it to hire a guide.

9. Ashwin Mahesh

Ashwin Mahesh Member

The internet rates are quite high for guides and I doubt you can expect the guides to carry around your luggages. The porter service will be additional and the guide may help in you locating a reasonbly priced and dependable porter.

10. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm also thinking that the cost of that at $90 does sound a little expensive when you first think about it, but it might actually be a fair enough price really.

Your getting the experience of qualified guide to assist you on your trek, a place to stay and your meals included. Would that not be a smilar price to what a person would expect to pay for an hotel room per night?

11. Andy_Lothbrok

Andy_Lothbrok New Member

$90 does sound expensive especially when you can get the same product for much much less. I too found the online prices were way over inflated compared to what you find when you get there. I believe the online operators like to jump on the organised tourists before they arrive and see actual prices. It's not just India, this happens everywhere. I think a fair price is what anyone is willing to charge, whether that is $45 or $25 per day.

I would say hold off booking something until you arrive, then ask around. You will definitely find cheaper prices and maybe even better service from people more keen to ear your money. Just because you pay $90 online, the actual person who guides you gets only a small percentage of this.

12. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

Personally, I think that $90 a day for a guide with food and accommodation included is not too expensive. In fact, it's already on the cheap side. But if you want a option that won't cut too much into your travel budget, I recommend joining a trek group. This way, all of you will divide up the cost of hiring a guide among yourselves. You can also avail of group tours that are usually offered by travel agencies with a discount.

13. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I was able to find some trek operators for Dodital within your price range:

1. Thrillophilia - They have a Dodital Trek from Dehradun via Bhebra. Here are the details about the package:
    • Duration: 6 days and 5 nights
    • Route: Dehradun > Uttarakshi > Sangam Chati > Bhebra > Dodital> Darwa Pass
    • Accommodation: Tents
    • Meal: Included in the package - breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    • Guides: Two guides are included in the package.
    • Porter: Included in the package.
    • Other inclusions: Entry fees, permits and camping fees. Service tax is also included. First aid kit is also provided for.
    • Rate: Rs. 11,400 per person. This is about $169 so it comes up to $28 a day per person.
    • Contact number: +(91)-80-30752676.
    2. Renok Adventures - They have a Dodital Trek via Bhebra as well. The details are:
    • Duration: 6 days and 5 nights
    • Route: Uttarakshi > Sangam Chati > Bhebra > Dodital> Darwa Pass
    • Accommodation: Tents/Camping
    • Meal: Vegetarian meals are included for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    • Guides: There's a guide and support staff to assist you.
    • Porter: Not included in the package.
    • Other inclusions: Permits, camping fees and first aid kits are included.
    • Rate: Rs. 7,850 per person. This is about $116 so it comes up to $19 a day per person.
    • Contact number: +91 7597921601.
    3. Go Beyond Asia - They have a Dodital Trek via Bhebra from Delhi. The details are:
    • Duration: 8 days and 7 nights
    • Route: Delhi > Haridwar > Rishikesh > Uttarakshi > Sangam Chati > Bhebra > Dodital > Agoda
    • Accommodation: Day 1, 2 and 7 are all hotel accommodations. The remaining days, there are camping accommodations.
    • Meal: There are 4 breakfast meal, 4 lunch meals and 4 dinner meals.
    • Guides: There's a guide that can conduct the tour in English. The guide is only available during the trek though.
    • Porter: Not included in the package.
    • Other inclusions: Vehicle transport is included in the package.
    • Rate: Rs. 17,107 per person. This is about $254 so it comes up to $31 a day per person.
    • Other information: This is a group tour for 2 to 5 people so you can split the fee with other people.
    • Contact number: +91 11 4702 7220.
    I hope this helps!

P.S.

You can also hire a local guide and bring your own tent to setup in the camping sites. However, your problem would be the meals since there's no eateries in these locations. You can bring your own packed meals though, if you're up for that. However, these tour operators I provided do charge lesser than what you were quoted with. So maybe you can try your luck with them. Good luck!