1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Countries You Would Never Visit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Oct 9, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Do you have any countries you would never visit? If so, is there a reason why?

For me, the only time I would absolutely rule out a country would be if there was a big safety risk. In my country there are travel advisories for every country, and sometimes they will specifically state not to travel to a certain place because it's unsafe to do so. I usually check these advisories before I plan any sort of vacation to make sure that it's still regarded as a safe place to visit.

What are your thoughts? I've been to plenty of places already that people have said they wouldn't visit, simply because they're not interested in that particular country.

2. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

If I get a chance, I would go for a world tour and not leave out any country but right now looking at the security situation in countries like Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan and a few more where terrorism is a big problem would not be on my list. I would probably give North Korea a miss too because they don't let tourists go where ever they want and restrict movement within their country.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think at the moment the middle east region is probably a no go area, especially for somebody like myself that's from the UK.

On the government travel website that whole area is rated as a red zone so even if there was countries there that I wanted to visit, I don't think it would be worth taking the risk.

4. Delirium

Delirium Member

Every country in Africa with the exception of South Africa (which I heard is pretty nice!). I'm also going to skip pretty much every country in the middle east aside from Dubai. There's just too much risk and I don't trust it. North Korea is also definitely a no no, I'd love to go on vacation and actually be able to return to my home country :p I also don't think I'd visit Russia. I don't know, I just find Putin and the country in general rather terrifying.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's pretty much most of the world you've ruled out there, be easier to write down what countries that you actually WOULD visit!

I have to agree though, I think when you go travelling to a certain country I also think making sure you get back in one peice should definitely be on the agenda!

rootle likes this.
  6. Delirium

Delirium Member

Haha, sounds about right! To be fair though, I would visit pretty much every country in Europe, North America and at least most of South America and Asia. I also have no problem with Australia despite the popular belief that pretty much everything could kill you there. I just don't like putting myself in too much potential danger, especially in countries that don't speak English (most of Africa and North Korea included). Like if you get into trouble, how are you going to get out of that? It'd be super messy. I'm probably thinking a bit too much though!

pwarbi likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think most people will look at specific regions in the world and certain countries and just know for a fact if it's safe to go or not. Most of us have access to a TV and newspapers and when we see and read about situations developing in a particular area for whatever reason we know to avoid the area.

8. Rimanana

Rimanana New Member

I'd never visit any country where I didn't feel safe. Central Africa seems to be dangerous, especially for females of my age category. My mother would be out of her mind with worry!

pwarbi likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think that's also another thing to consider. While we might want to go to a place, if safety IS a concern then sometimes it doesn't matter how many precautions you take you'll always be at risk, and while you very well might have the time of your life, the people back home will be worried until you return.

10. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Have you seen the movie "The Interview"? I laughed so hard in it but I think it's probably got a high element of truth to what life is really like over there in North Korea!

11. innaf93

innaf93 Member

North Korea one for sure I think but also I am really not interested in those rich oil-industry countries like Qatar or Saudi-Arabia, somehow the modern lifestyle they lead just doesn't appeal to me. I mean it would be an interesting trip If I ever would find myself there, but it's not on the top of my list.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I went to Dubai a couple of years ago and that's certainly an experience I'd never forget. I'm glad I've been but at the same time I'm glad I was only there for four nights and I doubt it's a country I'd go to if it wasn't for business, put it that way.

13. Delirium

Delirium Member

YES. I absolutely loved that movie. Seth Rogan was amazing in it, I don't think I've ever laughed so many times watching a movie (and I usually only watch comedy!). Remember how the North Korean leader guy Kim Jon Un or something getting so pissed over it though? Like, so pissed he actually threatened to nuke basically everyone? I bet that movie represents the country perfectly. Otherwise I don't see why they're so pissed about it. It's not like it's going to affect their tourism, considering how they basically have none and those who do want to visit the country know the risks just well enough to not get turned off by the movie.

14. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I very much doubt that north Korea would be on anybody's top 10 list of destinations to visit to be honest, well...or top 100 list for that matter! And even if it was I don't think that we'd be welcome.

15. innaf93

innaf93 Member

Well it's interesting what you said, because in one hand i am really curious about North Korea. I watch a lot of documentaries and such, but on the other, to travel that's something else.
    If I could go inside invisible maybe I would :)

16. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Being interested is one thing, actually going their for an holiday is something else entirely though I would imagine.

Like what's been said before, I'm not even sure people are allowed to travel into the country?

17. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Yeah and then Sony weren't even going to release the movie because of those threats! I'm glad they did though because it would be pretty sad to be silenced by a guy like that!

You're right - it's not going to impact their tourism industry since they don't have any - I bet he was just mad because it showed how crazy he really is! I mean, why would you get offended if there was no truth to it, right?!

18. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member

I feel the same way. I have no plans on visiting countries that are potentially unsafe for tourists. It's sad to think how these countries hold so much beauty yet are hidden because of unwanted terrorist acts that are frequent.

19. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

That's probably the saddest thing, that they have so much history and beauty to offer to the world, and yet they're left going to waste and people aren't allowed to enjoy what's there, all because of man made rules and dictatorships.

20. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I wouldn't go to Syria right just because the country is in a state of civil war, also I think your country will have alert levels around high-risk countries right now and won't allow you to go anyway. North Korea seems like a place that's not gonna let me leave so no I wouldn't even risk going there. I know it's not a country but I have this fear of the Bermuda Triangle with all the conspiracies and deaths surrounding it so I wouldn't even try to go there even in my dreams.

21. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I think your probably right in not wanting to go to Syria. Any country that is ravaged by war, and its own population are clamouring desperately to leave probably isn't recommended as a tourist hot spot to be honest!

22. RajaApull

RajaApull New Member

I would never visit North Korea. First of all I will be executed if I go there because I am Indian. Second of all, it's run by a dictator which is never good. You have no rights in North Korea, and you can easily be put into a prison camp.

23. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

I don't have any countries on my list. I would visit any country even if they had a war going on. I love to travel and I know that my services would be needed. I love to volunteer and help people.

24. Vaishali Mishra

Vaishali Mishra New Member

Why would being an Indian get you executed?

The only country I would probably never visit is Pakistan because I would not feel safe if I ever went there.

25. HIraeth

HIraeth Member

Wow.. This thread pretty much rules out a chunk of the countries on the globe. Haha :D I don't think I would NOT visit a particular country unless it was right in the midst of military/political/terrorist mayhem. This rules out the Middle East nations for now. About North Korea, the only problem I think I would have there is communication. I'm told the greater part of the population speak nothing besides their own language, that would make it really difficult to understand what was going on. :/

26. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Going as a volunteer to a place and going as a tourist are two entirely different things though. A registered volunteer, while will be in danger, won't be in half as much danger as a tourist would be I'd imagine?

27. ellajanelle

ellajanelle New Member

I won't ever visit a country where security and safety is an issue, especially to foreigners. Top countries I would not visit would have to be Syria, Iraq, and all other places surrounding them. Civil unrest is always present there, which is really sad because a lot of the tourist destinations remain unexplored.

28. Ilivewhereistand

Ilivewhereistand New Member

Outside of the middle eastern war torn countries I think there would be a few. For me one would be North Korea. I'm not so sure they wouldn't accuse me of being a spy and try to execute me. Another one would be Indonesia because they seem to strict with a lot of their laws.

29. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

There's absolutely no country I wouldn't mind visiting, unless there's a very high potential that I'd be killed by doing so. Sometimes, it's not really the country that's making itself worse but the government. Middle east countries have a fantastic history and culture about them. What made them not so favorable are the wars that won't stop because of the selfishness of those in power. So many have lost their lives already like they're purposely being eradicated. Ever since I was a little girl, I've dreamed of traveling the world to collect folklore that I haven't read before from a certain country. I guess it's not as possible as it used to be anymore.

30. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Probably the middle east right now. Too much chaos and fighting, I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself without watching my back or making sure the area I am on is safe. I'd really love to see the sights, but the dangers are heavier than the rewards, and I wouldn't want to risk it. Maybe in a couple of years when the conflicts have been toned down, I can visit without hesitation. But now, I'd rather steer clear of the place until they are all done with their constant bickering.

31. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member

I would never visit the middle east right now. It's too risky and I wouldn't feel good giving my money to a place I don't support... Of course there are probably thousands of beautiful places and nice people but I won't use other people's suffering for my own traveling experience. I think I wouldn't visit North Korea also, as much as I have interest in it.

32. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

I don't want to visit Libya and Yemen. I got terrified after watching a video on how Isis beheads abducted foreigners in Yemen. I have never heard of any city that is safe in Iraq. Terrorists do attack innocent civilians there. Turkey is also experiencing a wave of attacks from Isis. I don't know whether it will become one of the unsafe places to visit.

33. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member

I would never visit anywhere in the Middle East, specially not Iraq and Libya. I think they are such beautiful places but have been ruined by extremists/terrorists. I feel very sorry for the civilians. I probably wouldn't travel to North Korea as well, even though I have a big curiosity about it and would like to see it with my own eyes. I would never put my money in the hands of such a vile government, and traveling there seems like nothing but a big hoax. You can't leave the tour bus, you can't talk to locals, you can't use the internet, anything.

34. At the top of my "never want to visit list" used to be Hawaii, which is, of course, actually a state not a country. As a child, for some reason I was under the impression that Hawaii was one of the hottest places on earth. I have since learned that it actually has a fairly mild climate. Another reason that I didn't want to go there, though, was because it is such a popular tourist destination. I'm often more interested in places that are less popular.

I'm not sure I have any that I absolutely would not visit, but as others have mentioned, personal safety would be a deciding factor. Some countries may not be safe to visit right now, but could be perfectly safe in 5 or 10 years. For instance, I visited Ukraine 15 years ago and it was safe then, but it might not be such a safe place now. In the same manner, Ireland wasn't so safe in the 90's, but is a very safe place to visit now.

35. hades_leae

hades_leae New Member

I would never go to North Korea because I don't share the same vies on morality as the leader who runs it today. The power that he has is disgusting, and the people don't have a choice but to be the slaves that they are. I don't like the standards out there and want more for the humans fwho live under the rule of their leader.

I don't know the history of North Korea, but I know the present and I don't like the way of life that nation lives right now.

36. Normad

Normad New Member

I would never go anywhere that puts my safety and well-being at risk. For me safety is a top value. For example, I would never go to a country where my health or my life might be at risk or where there is war going on or something like that. Middle east and North Korea are out. Some other places I might not visit just for the fact that they are not interesting enough...

37. audrinaa

audrinaa New Member

For me I would never visit Iraq. I really don't want to walk around a place where we have lost so many Americans. I am not biased I am just one that wants to stay away from places where there could be a bomb at any time or where people I know have been killed. I just don't really want to take the risk on my life. There may be measures taken now, but still just the thought drives me crazy and I don't think I will ever visit Iraq. Definitely not on my to do list.

38. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

I would like to remind you that Iraq was brought down by the Americans for no reason what so ever. Iraq never was a threat to the US. All the WMD was a hoax and every one know that. I understand why you wouldn't want to go to Iraq but have you ever thought how many Iraqi's did Americans kill over the years?

39. djtravels

djtravels Member

The answer to that is over 1 Million civilians. And that was the count back in 2011. But, Audrinaa isn't talking about "civilians".

I understand where @audrinaa 's coming from - its not about the reasons for the war. The brave men and women who died for America didn't care whether Bush was telling the truth, they loved their country and did their duty. OTOH, on the "other side" wasn't the Iraqi army! It was a horde of terrorists and gorilla forces from across North Africa and the ME, who weren't fighting for anything. All they wanted to do was to inflict damage. Also, its not a safe place to be for an american right now.

However, to answer @amelia88 there is no place in the world I wouldn't visit. My rule is - "Even if one person did it, I can do it too". And you can google "Gunnar Garfors" to know about just such a man. And he wasn't the only one, but he's the latest "crazy one" to have accomplished that feat.

Admin likes this.