1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current condition of Srinagar, Kashmir

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Subroto, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Subroto

Subroto New Member

Hi

I am planning a family trip to Kashmir from a long time, now we have some free time during winter holidays of kids when we can make this dream trip real so I just want to know is it a good time to visit Kashmir? I know Kashmir was affected by major flood recently, so is it back in shape now or do you suggest to hold it for one more year?

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

I would not go there in election time. If you are planning to go to Leh then it is fine but Kashmir is a big no no in my opinion but if you do decide to go then Patnitop is the furthest I would recommend.

There are plenty of world class destinations in Himachal where locals are very welcoming and warm hearted.

3. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Elections are over now but the new government is not formed yet so its not a bad time as far as security is concerned but I would personally still avoid Kashmir because there are plenty of other very good quality destinations in India where you can find snow this time of the year and where there are no security problems.

4. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

I agree it is still a lot better to go some place in Himachal instead.

5. Balladman

Balladman New Member

Hi fellow travelers,

I know there are always some doubts about tourist safety in Kashmir. I just arrived Srinagar 2 days back and I am already done with my sightseeing and visit to Gulmarg, it is much more beautiful than my imaginations and till now I didn't find anything which can make me feel unsafe in fact Kashmir got less touts than Delhi, Agra or anywhere else. According to me Srinagar is full of friendly people who are always willing to help you and nobody has tried to cheat me so far. This small town is full of military establishments and you will find an army or police check post after every mile and they are very friendly and more than helpful. I am having a good time here and I really don't see any tension in the city.

6. Kakkar

Kakkar New Member

There are many who go to Kashmir without any worries or issues, and there are some who are very cautious about the fighting and shooting and are afraid to take their families there. Things in Kashmir change from day to day, so I think when making a plan to go to Kashmir, it is best to know the situation of Kashmir a day before you leave.