1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Delhi to Haridwar Road Condition

Discussion in 'North India' started by Jassi, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Jassi

Jassi New Member

I am going to be travelling to Haridwar from Delhi by car, and last time I went to Haridwar the road condition was very bad and it took longer than usual to reach the destination. I would like to know the current road condition of the road from Delhi to Haridwar whether it has improved or still the same.

2. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

I have visited Haridwar many times and the Haridwar road is still the same.I went to Haridwar via Delhi Haridwar highway this October and we reached in about 4-5 hours. mainly the roads after crossing Delhi are very bad, full of pot holes even there is a one-way road which is a bit dangerous sometimes.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I always take the Gang neher road from Muradnagar. It is not a good road but there is no traffic atall. You will see a car or jeep every 15-20 mins and you can drive at a speed of 60-70 most of the times. Its just a single road with hardly any room for anything else but the fact that there is no traffic makes it a good journey. I wont recommend it if you are driving at night as there has been incidents of looting on that route but during the day its not a problem atall. You wont find any place to eat or even for a cup of tea. This road will take you straight up to Haridwar via Roorkee.

The main highway is very good but the way people drive on this route gives me shivers at times so I normally avoid the highway.

4. Jassi

Jassi New Member

How long does the journey take?
    Which time of day would you recommend going?

5. Admin

If you take the main highway then 4-5 hours. I guess it is best to leave very early in the morning so you can get out of Delhi before the morning rush.

6. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Time it takes via ganga neher and the highway is more or less the same. The main difference is that if you take the highway then it will be stupid traffic all through the way but via Ganga neher you will hardly see any other cars. Once in a while there will be a car that would come from the other side and you would have to get off the road to let them pass but other than that you will have a relaxing journey.

7. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

That ganga neher road is deserted and there have been incidents of robbery and other crimes on that road. I would not advise taking that road.

8. Amit.Ayer

Amit.Ayer New Member

The road conditions are awful, the road by the small river is even worse and because of the bad road conditions you have drive slow, so the if you plan to come back on the same day it does get tiring, it is recommended that you ether hire a driver or make a stop over at Haridwar.

9. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

For Delhi to Haridwar it is probably best to take the highway as opposed to the neher road. Gung neher road is also a big no no during times when kawariyas do their thing as they use that route and you would be doing 3kms per hour (yes 3KMPH) all through out the journey.

Leaving Delhi between 3-4AM is the best way to do it in my opinion. You would be out of Delhi NCR before sun rise and will not see any traffic atall. UP traffic is stupid to say the least so caution is the word to remember. You don't have to be a good driver to reach safely but being lucky helps when you are driving in UP. Vehicles coming from the wrong side are not uncommon. Condition of the road from Delhi to Haridwar is pretty good.

BadBoy likes this.
  10. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

The best way is to leave Delhi early in the morning, we have always left Delhi early and faced no traffic problems whenever visiting Haridwar.

UP drivers, traffic are a pain and their great police whether traffic or normal one both are retarded, better not to face them.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

Chahal likes this.
  11. Sarath

Sarath New Member

Hello everyone,
    I am planning to visit haridwar with my family in october. Since it was a last minute plan there were no tickets available in shatabdi train. So we are planning to take the bus.
    Please suggest some good bus agency.Are government buses any good ? and is the road from Delhi to Haridwar steep ? because we are planning to go in an AC bus and if the road is steep that would mean we would feel like we are confined within a box that's why. How is the road condition. Please reply ASAP.

Thank you.

12. Chahal

@Sarath There are no hills on the way to Haridwar from Delhi if that is what you mean to ask. Roads are in good shape and a bus journey would not take more then 4-5 hours.

You can book your bus tickets at www.upsrtconline.co.in , AC bus tickets are Rs306 per person and buses leave from Kashmiri Gate ISBT.

13. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Go to ISBT anytime and you would find a number of buses going to Haridwar at the Hairdwar counter,but these buses are the typical roadways buses not the airconditioned ones you are after.

Sent from my GT-S6102 using Tapatalk 2

Chahal likes this.
  14. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

There are talks of making government officials responsible for deaths on UP roads due to pot holes or other kinds of mismanagement like road works not being done by the book and stuff like that. Government officials could be implicated for death due to negligence which also carries a prison sentence if proven guilty and to my knowledge every single accident is government officials failure to keep a check on contractors and that amounts of negligence.

If such a directive is passed then I would not be surprised if UP gets the tag of state with best roads in the whole world. I would love to see this happening. Right now no official is accountable for such accidents or deaths that are caused by their negligence.

Once this happens I can assure you that the road from Delhi to Haridwar would be one of the best in the country :)

15. Chahal

Delhi to Haridwar road condition update 2016 : I just came back from Haridwar and the highway is in good condition, just too much traffic due to Mahashivratri that's all but otherwise road condition was acceptable through out. I went using the highway and came back using ganga nehar road (don't use ganga neher road at night) and it was a good trip over all.

16. Admin

UPDATE JUNE 2017 : I went to Haridwar using the National highway 58 and came back via Gang neher route. NH 58 is in pretty good condition with hardly and pot holes but Gang neher road is kind of rough and I had to drive slow all through the route. If you are planning to go for Kanwar then it is alright due to low traffic and road is not bad for walking in my opinion. I wont advise traveling via gang neher route at night as there is no security arrangement there and that road has absolutely no lights through out.

17. Admin

UPDATE JANUARY 2018 : NH58 has some rough patches and is not safe for pedestrians (read kanwariyas) Kanwariyas should take the gang nehar route as there is hardly any traffic on that route even during day time. Gang nehar road is broken here and there with large pot holes but for walking during the day it is pretty good, just not that great for driving.