1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distance Between Ooty Kodaikanal and Munnar

Discussion in 'South India' started by Munjal, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Munjal

Munjal New Member

I am planning a road trip which would start from Ooty then I will go towards Kodaikanal and end at Munnar. These hill station destinations have been decided because they are famous tourist places, and it will give us a chance to see parts of Kerala and Tamil Nadu.

To spend an equal time at each destination, I would like to know the distance between Ooty, Kodaikanal, and Munnar so I know how many days we would require for the road trip.

Any other tips and advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

2. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

If you plan to go by road, the distance between Ooty and Kodaikanal is 255 Km. You'll encounter several treacherous hairpin bends and high-risk driveways. It's best to engage a professional driver. However, you get to see panoramic sceneries and locations all along. Both places are picturesque themselves.

From Kodaikanal to Munnar is another 165 Km. Congratulations for selecting a wonderful trip. Have a nice time. Good Luck!

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, @Munjal!

The distance between Ooty and Kodaikanal is about 250 kms by Palani-Kodaikanal road. That can take anywhere between six to seven hours to travel, depending on the traffic and stopovers you take. From Kodaikanal to Munnar, the distance is about 162.6 kms via National Highway 85. That can take anywhere between four to five hours to travel, again depending on traffic and stopovers. The total distance you have to cover is 412.6 kms which is about 10 to 12 hours of travel time in total.

If you have your own car, then it's better to bring it. As far as I know, there are no direct buses from Ooty to Kodaikanal and you'd have to take a taxi to reach the latter. This can be quite costly as compared to riding a bus. You can board indirect buses but that can take longer. Your best option would be to hire a cab or bring your own. Bringing your own car is better as you can control the stopovers and you can enjoy the scenic journey more.

This the route you have to take from Ooty to Kodaikanal: Ooty > Mettupalayam > Annur > Palladam > Dharapuram > Palani > Kodaikanal.

And this is the route you have to take from Kodaikanal to Munnar: Kodaikanal > Theni > Bhodinayanur > Munnar.

Consider spending at least two days each for each destination as well to fully enjoy your trip.

I hope this helps! Have fun!