1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dudhsagar Falls and Jog Falls

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Deepakdin, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Deepakdin

Deepakdin New Member

Hi All

I am planning a trip to visit Dudhsagar Falls and Jog falls during winter holidays as it will give me enough time to explore these places.

I will be starting my journey from Pune and back here but I am not sure about the route and itinerary, I want to finalize it after getting suggestions and advice from you folks. Please let me know your suggestions and advice what would be the best route. I would be travelling alone.

Deepak

2. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I've seen the photo of Dudhsagar Falls and it really looks breathtaking because it has four tiers and is over 300 meters high. It even looks scarier during the monsoon when the rush of water is very strong. Accessing is a bit dangerous though because it seems that you have to really travel through steep steps to get to it but if one is careful, it is truly a sight to behold.

3. tabby

tabby Member

This only covers going to Dudhsagar Waterfalls, but perhaps you might still find it useful. From Pune, you can take the Goa Express train for Hazrat Nizamuddin to Vasco da Gama. Depending on how far you are willing to trek, you can get off at any of these stations (nearest Dudhsagar, Castlerock, Kulem). The most popular route is the one starting from Castlerock. If you get off from this station, you will be trekking about 15KMs to reach the falls. From Castlerock, you could cover 13 tunnels and 16 tunnels if you get off at Kulem Station. The train ride to Castlerock is roughly 10 hours. If you don't want to waste hours, and don't mind missing the scenic views from the train, you can opt to fly to Goa.

Admin and Chahal like this.
  4. tabby

tabby Member

@Deepakdin hi again. You mentioned that you are still trying to finalize your itinerary and that you are starting off your journey from Pune. Perhaps you might want to look into this thread in the forum:
    Hill Stations Near Pune

I see that you are an adventurous fellow and won't mind long treks. The thread list several hill stations that you might want to check out. The suggested attractions there are truly beautiful and it would be a waste if you're just in the nearby Pune and miss them.

Admin and Chahal like this.
  5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Deepakdin! Welcome to the forum!

From Pune to Dudhsagar Falls, the distance is about 436 kms. It can take you 8 hours or more to reach the falls. And from Dudhsagar Falls to Jog Falls, it's another 250 kms. It can take you 5 hours or more to reach the latter. Here are the routes you can to take:

Pune to Dudhsagar Falls
    • Route 1 via NH48 - Pune > Khandala > Satara > Kashil > Karad > Kolhapur > Nipani > Belagavi > Dudhsagar Falls.
    • Route 2 via Shirur Satara Road - Pune > Morgaon > Lonand > Satara > Kashil > Karad > Kolhapur > Nipani > Belagavi > Dudhsagar Falls.

Dudhsagar Falls to Jog Falls
    • Route 1 via SH93 - Dudhsagar > Mollem > Usoda > Nilvani > Bhagavati > Manchikeri > Hulgol > Kangod > Kansur > Siddapur > Jog Falls.
    • Route 2 via NH66 - Dudhsagar > Kulem > Bandoli > Poinguinim > Polem > Chendia > Amdalli > Madangeri > Kumta > Honnavar > Upponi > Jog Falls.
    • Route 3 via Sirsi - Hubli Road - Dudhsagar > Mollem > Londa > Dharwad > Tadas > Saalgaon > Sirsi > Siddapur > Jog Falls.

These are all the routes you can take. The Route No. 1 for both cases is the best one you can take, if you're travelling via private vehicle. They're the shortest routes and you will reach the falls in the shortest amount of time with them.

From Pune to the Dudhsagar Falls, you have three options for transportation:
    • Since you're asking for routes, I'm assuming that you're going to bring your own vehicle. Even if you're going to bring your own vehicle, you can only use it up to the Jeep Stand in Kulem Railway Station. After that, only jeeps from this station are allowed to go into the roads to reach the Dudhsagar Falls. This jeeps are available all-year round except during the monsoon season. The fare is at Rs. 450 per person.
    • If ever you're not going to bring your own vehicle, you can view the waterfalls from the train. You won't even need to go down from the train. There are two trains going to Kulem Railway Station from Pune: Goa Express Train No. 12780 and Poorna Express Train No. 11097. From the Kulem Railway Station, you have the same options as above.
    • Your last option would be trekking the falls by foot. You can start the trek from two stations: Kulem Railway Station and Castlerock Railway Station. From Kulem Railway Station, the trek is about 11 kms or about 4 to 5 hours of walking. This route has the famous u-turn, also called the Dudhsagar Viewpoint. The other one, the Castlerock Railway Station is about 14 kms from Dudhsagar and can take around 5 to 6 hours to trek. This route has more trains along the way. If you're in great physical condition, the trek is the best way to reach the falls.

Now, from Dudhsagar Falls to the Jog Falls, here are your transportation options:
    • You can bring your own private vehicle to reach the Jog Falls. I've given you the routes you can take above.
    • Your other options would be via train. There are no direct trains from Kulem to Jog Falls. The nearest train station is the Shimoga Railway Station. From Kulem Railway Station, ride a train going to Londa Junction. One of which is the Goa Express Train No. 12779. From Londa Junction, ride a train going to Birur Station. One of which is the Chenamma Express Train No. 16590. And from Birur Station, ride a train going to the Shimoga Railway Station. One of which is the Talguppa Express Train No. 16227. From the Shimoga Railway Station, you can ride a taxi or a bus going to the Jog Falls.

Now, here's a possible itinerary for your trip:

Day 1 - Arrive in Kulem and check in at your hotel. Rest for the night.

Day 2 - Wake up early and have breakfast. Bring water and food with you for the trek. Reach the Dudhsagar Waterfalls by afternoon. After an hour or two of enjoying the falls, trek back to the hotel.

Day 3 - Leave early morning for the Jog Falls. Arrive by afternoon and enjoy the scenery around. Travel back to your hotel in Shimoga.

Day 4 - End of trip, travel back to Pune.

I hope this helps!