1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Riding Elephants And Camels

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Tyson, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

In what regions would I need to travel in order to ride an elephant and a camel? I would love to take a day tour by elephant and camel? I this even possible?

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

You can experience camel ride in Rajasthan,they even have a festival where there will be camel race. You can go on a jungle safari on elephant backs in some national parks. If you want to do a tour on elephant, Jaipur is the ideal place.

3. Barbiebarbie73

Barbiebarbie73 New Member

Elephant riding is something I've always wanted to do. Please do let me know how it goes for you. As far as camel riding is concerned I do not know the best places in India to do it but I can tell you this: it's an experience like no other.

4. George

George Member

Do you happen to know when the festival is in Rajasthan. I think it would be interesting to attend the festival and see the races. I have heard a lot about camel races but I have never seen one.

5. Sharath S

Sharath S Member

Elephant Riding is very popular in the Southern Part of India than the North. But Camel rides are only available in and around Gujarat. You have to decide which part of India you would like to visit and make sure that there are facilities available for these. I have been around Kerala and you can find a lot of Destinations there which have Elephant riding. I recommend that you do try it and let me tell you, it was one hell of an experience when I first did it. Good Luck. Safe Journey. Do Post your Experience once you have done it.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It is possible to tour some places in India via camel safari or elephant safari. Here are the locations where you can do them:

Elephant Safaris in India
    • Jim Corbett National Park in Nainital - This is the oldest national park in India, as it was established on 1936. Tourists are only allowed in particular areas of the reserve. The Elephant Safari is only allowed in two out of the five zones in the park: the Bijrani and the Dhikala zones. The safari is conducted in a designated path so that the tourist would be able to see different species of reptiles and mammals. There are no advanced bookings for the Elephant Safari inside the park. It is on a first come, first serve basis. It can be as long as an hour and a half. Alternatively, they allow booking for Elephant Safaris outside the periphery of the park. The address is: Nainital District, Ramnagar, Uttarakhand 244715.
    • Bandhavgarh National Park in Umaria - This national park has the highest density of tigers in India. There's even a short tiger safari and elephant safari tour here conducted at the same time. Since the tigers are tracked here, the organisers know exactly where they are. Instead of touring the entire reserve, tourists can opt for this shorter tour to see tigers while riding an elephant. The address is: C-3, Kachnar City, Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh 482002.
    • Kanha National Park in Madhya Pradesh - Many of the remote places in the park cannot be accessed by a jeep so the best way to reach them is via an elephant ride. There are two Elephant Safari types. One is the Elephant Safari to see the Tiger Show here which brings the tourists closer to the tigers. The other Day Long Elephant Safari needs to be booked a month in advance though and usually needed by photographers, videographers or educational tours. The address is: Madhya Pradesh, India.
    • Kaziranga National Park in Golaghat and Nagaon - This has four zones: Kaziranga Range, Bagori Range, Agaratoli Range and Burapahar Range. All zones are accessible by an Elephant Safari except the Burapahar Range. The famous One-Horned Rhino can be seen here. You cannot book for this in advance though and it's a first come, first serve basis. The address is: Golaghat and Nagaon District, Guwahati, 110092.
    Camel Safaris in India
    • Rajasthan - The Thar Desert can be found here, which is the 17th largest desert in the world. About 85% of the Thar Desert is in India and the remaining is in Pakistan. There are many camel safaris in the different cities of Rajasthan: Pushkar, Bikaner, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer, Samsara and Osian, to name a few. There are even camping sites here where you can spend the night and enjoy the folk dances and cultural shows prepared by the organisers. Aside from that, you can opt for day long or several days long of safaris.
    • Ladakh - The Nubra Valley in Ladakh is another site for camel safaris. The Nubra Valley is a high altitude cold desert with very rare precipitations and vegetations. Many of the inhabitants of the region are Buddhists. You get to see them in the camel safari. Aside from the desert, you also get to visit a hot spring and river along the way.
    I hope this helps!