1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eravikulam National Park

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Wanderlust, May 3, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Recently I came across a documentary on Animal Planet TV channel which was about Eravikulam National Park in Kerala. The documentary was about the endemic species of wildlife found exclusively in that region. I also came to know that the reserve forest area around this national park is open to trekkers and many nature lovers go there for trekking and wildlife sightings.

That's something which has ignited the interest in me. It would be an awesome adventure to trek along the jungle trails and spot some wildlife if luck permits. I would really like to hear the experience of those who have been to Eravikulam National Park. Please let me know -

1. How to get there?
    2. Do the offer jungle safari rides like the other national parks in India?
    3. From where can I obtain the permission for trekking inside the national park? Does the forest department organize trekking programs and tours?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Eravikulam National Park is famous for being the only habitat for the endangered Nilgiri Tahr. Alongwith the Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary, it creates a unique habitat for many rare endemic species of animals and birds.

Nestled amidst the rolling green hills of Western Ghats Mountain Ranges, the Eravikulam National Park is arguably one of the most scenic protected wildlife reserves in India. It is also famous for the Neelakurinji flower - a flowering plant endemic to this region which blossoms once in twelve years to cover the mountain slopes in a blanket of blue bloom.

Besides the famed Nilgiri Tahr, you can spot Indian bison, sambar deer, golden jackal, dhole, leopard, stripe-necked mongoose, and elephants in abundance. Some of the rare endemic birds available in the forests of Eravikulam are black-and-orange flycatcher, Nilgiri pipit, Nilgiri wood pigeon, white bellied shortwing and Nilgiri flycatcher.

Eravikulam National Park is situated in the Munnar Forest Division of Kerala. It can best be accessed from the famous hill station of Munnar. You can refer to this Munnar Travel Guide to know about the possible routes and ways to get there.

No forest safari tour is offered in the core areas of Eravikulam National Park. Kerala Fourism Board and the forest department are trying to establish Eravikulam National Park as a eco-friendly tourism zone. In order to promote a sustainable tourism model, vehicular safari is not permitted inside the reserve forest area. Only the tourism zone area between the 5th Mile and Rajamala Tea Estate can be accessed on safari buses.

All trekking activities at Eravikulam National Park are conducted by the forest department. So you need not have to obtain any special permit for trekking. There are different trails that can take you inside the forest area. Both 2-3 hours' short distance nature walks and day-long trekking routes are available. These are guided treks where the tourists are accompanied by forest guards and experienced guides. Besides trekking, tourists can also enjoy overnight camping in traditional Lakkom Log House. Trekking slots can be booked in advance through the official website of Eravikulam National Park - eravikulam[dot]org.

NOTE - Eravikulam National Park remains closed for the tourists during the calving season in February-March every year.

Regards,
    Deb

3. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Another place to visit is Rajaji National Park. It is also expansive, with many species to see. I think they have an excellent selection of tigers, and is one of the better preserves. It has nearly a 1000 square kilometers of grounds, so it supports a great ecosystem close to the natural environment.

4. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Is that located close to Eravikulam National Park? If yes, then I would love to club this together with my trip to Eravikulam.