1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food in Indian Railways

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by ArchanaDeb, Nov 29, 2014.

1. ArchanaDeb

ArchanaDeb New Member

Hi All

This is the first time I am traveling by train in India (Pune to New Delhi) and as it is long journey so I have to eat food provided by IRCTC, can somebody please tell me is it clean and hygienic food which they serve in train or it’s better to get something packed from outside. If required I can carry some cookies and bakery products with me but I cannot afford to fall sick in mid-way.

Archana

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Your dear Baba ji does not eat Railway food ever thanks to my visit into their kitchen once. Not a good scene atall to be honest. This is one reason I do not go for long train journeys and prefer to go by air instead.

3. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

If you started looking at kitchens then the fancy restaurants we go to aren't run they way we would like them to be either. Food in trains have improved a lot over the years and I find food in Shatabdi and Rajdhani trains to be acceptable quality.

Never heard of people dying of food poisoning in trains like we hear about mid day schools so they must be doing a few things right :) I dont mind the food that I know will not kill me.

4. Aadi

Aadi Member

If you are going by Rajdhani or Shatabdi then you need not to worry about food as nothing is prepared in train and the packed food comes directly from IRCTC kitchen which is clean and hygienic. Other trains have kitchen car and everything is prepared there only which is not as clean as IRCTC kitchen but it is clean enough to prepare food.

If you do not keep well or have any stomach related illness then its better to take home made food otherwise for a normal human it is 100% OK.

ChaiNashta likes this.
  5. Karan

Karan Member

The quality of food provided by Indian Railways through IRCTC (Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation) has improved in recent years, but experiences can vary. Here are some factors to consider when deciding whether to rely on IRCTC-provided food or bring your own:

1. IRCTC Catering Improvement:
      • IRCTC has taken several steps to enhance the quality of food served on trains. They have introduced e-catering services, revamped menus, and implemented stricter quality control measures.
    2. Online Reviews:
      • Before your journey, you can check online reviews and feedback from other passengers who have traveled on the same route. This can provide insights into the current quality of food and service.
    3. Menu Options:
      • IRCTC offers a variety of meals, including vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. You can review the menu and select meals that suit your preferences.
    4. Packaged Snacks:
      • Carrying some packaged snacks like cookies, chips, or bakery products is a good idea as a backup. These items are less likely to spoil during the journey and can serve as a quick snack.
    5. Hygiene Concerns:
      • While efforts have been made to maintain cleanliness and hygiene, individual experiences may vary. If you have specific concerns about hygiene, packing your own food might be a safer option.
    6. Local Cuisine:
      • If the train passes through stations with renowned local eateries, you may consider purchasing food from these vendors during the halts. This can be a good way to experience local cuisine and ensure freshness.
    7. Precautions:
      • If you decide to rely on IRCTC-provided meals, take precautions like washing your hands before eating and avoiding raw or undercooked food items.
    8. Feedback:
      • During the journey, if you encounter any issues with the quality or hygiene of the food, you can provide feedback through the official channels. This helps in continually improving the catering services.
    Ultimately, the decision depends on your preferences, comfort level, and the specific details of your journey. Carrying some backup snacks and researching recent reviews can help you make an informed decision based on the current state of IRCTC catering services.