1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting transport from Mumbai Airport

Discussion in 'Maharashtra' started by MamtaMaj, Aug 1, 2015.

1. MamtaMaj

MamtaMaj New Member

I will arrive at Mumbai airport on 23rd August, and it will be an afternoon flight. I know that you can easily get a taxi from the airport, but what other transport options do I have from the airport.
    I am a girl travelling on my own, so please take this into consideration and I have also never been to Mumbai before.

2. KK

KK Member

You can either get a bus or train from the airport. Buses are available from the airport but do not directly go to the city of Mumbai, and for trains you would need to get an auto from the airport to the nearest train station.
    As you mentioned you would be travelling alone I would advise you get an auto to your destination or a taxi which I dont think you want to get.

3. Rudra

Rudra New Member

Where exactly do you want to go in Mumbai?

The bus service which is at the airport doesnt take you directly to the city, and if you take a train then you will need to make your own way to the neaest train station then that will then take you to Mumbai city. Although you have mentioned other options than a taxi, it is the only mode which would be the easiest.

4. ManishArora

ManishArora New Member

To be honest as this is your first time in Mumbai I would strongly suggest that you get a prebooked taxi which would pick you up from the airport and drop you of at your desired destination. Your going to have luggage with you as well so getting onto buses and trains would be a hassle.

5. Anuj Dhawan

Anuj Dhawan New Member

23rd August is gone by - however, I'd say it depends on what time you are arriving at airport. Though Mumbai is a 24x7 city but for a girl new to the city it might get tough if you behave the your question is posed. ;)

Said that, you can get any transport from Mumbai Airport - in fact, from Airport Andheri Metro is not far away -- so you've all the choices, starting from auto rickshaw, BEST buses, pre-booked taxi, private vehicle. If you are arriving late in the night or in the wee-hours and are alone - suggest you pre-book a cab.

To give a better answer - It'd help if you'd tell where you want to go, as others have said. However, in general Mumbai is a safe city but long distance, wee-hours can make it a tedious job for all.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

From the Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, you have several transportation options. Where are you going though? I'm assuming you're going to the Mumbai City Centre. Since you crossed out taxis on the list, I'm going to give you some other transportation options. Here they are:

1. Buses. There's several bus operators running to and from Mumbai Airport. You won't find direct buses to the Mumbai City Centre though. You would just be taken to the railway station. Some of them are:
    • Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST). The BEST Buses have to be the most economical and convenient option for buses. You can find them in the Domestic Terminal (Bus No. 312) and the International Terminal (Bus No. 321). The Bus No. 312 would take you to the Vile Parle (East) and Andheri (East) Railway Stations. The Bus No. 321 would take you to the Vile Parle East. Alternatively, there's the Bus No. 328 in the International Terminal which can take you in Andheri (East) Railway Station.
    • MSRTC and Other Private Buses. There's also MSRTC and Private Buses that operate from the airport to other regions like Pune, Mangalore, Calicut and Trichur.
    2. Trains. You can find three train stations in Mumbai: the Western Line, the Central Main Line, and the Harbour Line. These lines connect central Mumbai to other parts of the city. You can ride a bus to reach the railway stations.
    • From the Domestic Terminal, the nearest station is Vile Parle.
    • From the International Terminal, the nearest station is Andheri.
    Aside from buses, you can also ride an auto rickshaw to reach the train station. Fares vary but it ranges from Rs. 20 to Rs. 50. You can find auto rickshaws on the Domestic Terminal.

When it comes to the safety of these options, they are very safe albeit crowded. That's the downside really. Another downside? They won't be available during night time, especially the buses. For that, your best option would be a hired cab or a taxi. Prepaid Taxis are probably the safest option although also expensive. But you won't have to argue with the driver as well since you will pay at the counter in the airport already. Another option would be the Radio Taxis, which have a few counters in the airport as well but with other taxis, you'd have to call for them. There are also Metered Taxis outside the airport but it can be tricky to figure out if you're paying them correctly.

I hope this helps!