1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Golden Triangle Tour 4 Days

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Michelle, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Michelle

Michelle New Member

I have just arrived in Delhi with my husband from Boston. Our initial trip was to see Delhi, and it was only until we met a couple on our flight who told us they were doing the golden triangle and explained that it is a simple trip which includes seeing Agra and Jaipur.

We are only in India for six more days, taking tomorrow's day out we will have five days left. I was wondering would it be possible to do the golden triangle tour four days?

Please give your honest opinions. We would love to explore other places and especially see the Taj Mahal, but think we are short of time.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Michelle! I'm glad you found the forum!

I think exploring the Golden Triangle in four days' time is possible. You'd have to leave out some places of course or maybe rush in some places. But overall, it is achievable and you can explore many attractions in a span of four days. Even some tour agencies have packages that cover the Golden Triangle in four days. Here's an itinerary that might be useful for you:

Golden Triangle Tour in Four Days

Day 1. Explore Delhi. Places to visit are:
    • The Old Delhi. There's the Lal Qila or Red Fort built by Shah Jahan. Then, there's the Jama Masjid on the opposite of the Red Fort, it is the largest mosque in Asia. Then, visit the Chandni Chowk and explore the shops, buy some souvenirs as well.
    • The India Gate. A symbol of India's independence from the British colony.
    • The Qutb Minar. Built by the first Muslim Emperor of Delhi named Qutb, this is the highest minaret made out of brick.
    • The Lotus Temple. So-named because of its flower appearance, one of the most visited house of worships in India.
    • The Birla House. The site of assassination of Mohandas Ghandi.
    Rest for the night.

Day 2. Travel from Delhi to Agra. By midmorning or lunch, arrive in Agra. Check in at your hotel, have some lunch and then, visit the following places:
    • The Taj Mahal. Built by Shah Jahan for his wife Mumtaz Mahal, this is a fine example of Mughal architecture. Its changing of colour during sunrise, afternoon and sunset is mesmerising.
    • The Agra Fort. Inside the fort are several palaces, audience halls and mosques. This is another fine example of the brilliance of Mughal architecture.
    • Fatehpur Sikri. This one is built by Akbar as a tribute to Sufi Saint. It was built using red sandstone and is a combination of Indian, Islamic and Persian architectures.
    • Itmad-Ud-Daulah. A testament of Islamic style of architecture and this is the first structure to be made completely out of marble in India.
    Rest for the night.

Day 3. Travel from Agra to Jaipur. Arrive by lunch and check in at the hotel. Then, visit:
    • The Hawa Mahal or Palace of Winds. Built by Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh, this has about 953 small windows and has five floors. It is said that the royal women used to look out in these windows as they cannot get out of the palace.
    • Nahargarh Fort. Built by Jai Singh II, it offers panoramic views of the city.
    • The Jal Mahal or Water Palace. You would need to ride a boat to reach the palace but it's very much worth it.
    • Abhaneri Step Well. Ancient people used to store their water in here. It's a little bit further from Jaipur and you can skip this one of time doesn't permit you to visit it.
    • Jaigarh Fort. Just on the edge of Aravalli Hills, lies the Jaigarh Fort with its red sandstones and high watchtowers.
    • The City Palace. Explore its gardens, halls and there's even a museum in here.
    • Jantar Mantar. An observatory used during the ancient times for predicting season and time.
    Rest for the night.

Day 4. Have breakfast and leave early for:
    • An elephant ride to the Amber Fort and Palace. Lines here are long so you need to wake early and go there before people come rushing in. The tour can take anywhere between three to four hours. Consider getting a guide to help you explore the fort better.
    Travel back to Delhi by mid-afternoon.

There you go. You can skip some destinations that doesn't interest you here. I just included all the tourist spots that I know of. I hope this helps!