History Of Agriculture

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by Tamboa, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Tamboa

Tamboa New Member

I read that the "Green Revolution" was a mixed blessing in that it brought more food to India but also eventually put many farmers out of business. Is there a museum or a place for people to learn about the history of India's agriculture?

2. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

Agriculture began about ten thousand years ago. Beginning of agriculture is also the beginning of human history. India has not only sent its satellite in the space but also developed atom bomb. However, agriculture is still one of of the biggest revenue generating sector in India. You can learn about Indian agriculture in books and museums.

3. India has been an agrarian economy for most of it's history, and continues to do so even now. In India the green revolution programme was started because of massive food shortage in 1961. The first state to come under its ambit was Punjab, since it is known for it's fertile land and easy access to water. The most successful crop i n this program was rice, and it has ensured that India has not only become self-sufficient but is also exporting large quantities of it.

4. Rayne

Rayne New Member

Tamboa. How did the Green Revolution put farmers out of business? Maybe I don't fully understand what happened but today "India exported $39 billion worth of agricultural products in 2013, making it the seventh largest agricultural exporter worldwide and the sixth largest net exporter. Most of its agriculture exports serve developing and least developed nations." This is straight from Wikipedia. I couldn't have said it better myself.

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

India's agriculture is tied in with its level of civic advancement. India had the first planned cities and settlements, showing that they practiced a far greater systematic agriculture than anywhere else at the time. Their divisions of labor were also far more ordered. Instead of individual farmers, there were far larger tracts of land under collective cultivation for the owners. But, like so much else in India, the distinct practices vary greatly by locality and culture. Back then, the idea of a modern India would have been a strange idea, with many more groups and regional powers dividing the land.