1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Reach Ooty from Mysore?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Wanderlust, May 26, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

We are currently settled in Mysore and planning for a short leisurely trip to a nearby place. A hill station would be the perfect choice in this hot summer. Ooty appears to be good option. I keep hearing so many good things about Ooty, but did not get a chance to visit the place yet.

Any idea, how to reach Ooty from Mysore? What would be the better option - bus or train? Or shall I hire a taxi instead? Please let me know what is the best way to reach Ooty from Mysore.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Ooty is just around 125 KM away from Mysore, so it's a good choice for a short trip from Mysore.

Ooty does not have main-line railways. So train is not an option. Road transport is the only way to reach Ooty from Mysore. There are frequent buses plying between Mysore and Ooty. Roads are in good shape, so the bus journey is quite comfortable.

There are quite a few bus operators for Mysore-Ooty journey, but the state-run KSRTC is the best in terms of service and punctuality. You can get KSRTC Volvo buses from the Sub-urban Bus Stand in Mysore. KSRTC operates 10-12 Mysore-Ooty trips daily on Volvo buses. Volvo buses take around 4 hours to reach Ooty from Mysore. The fare is around INR 450 in KSRTC Volvo Club Class. There is no need to book tickets in advance. You can simply go to the bus stand and board an Ooty bound bus. Online booking facility is also available on ksrtc(.)in.

A cheaper option is KSRTC Rajahamsa. These are non-AC semi-sleeper buses with push-back seats. The fare is around INR 300 and the journey takes around 5 hours. KSRTC also operates ordinary buses (Karnataka Saarige) between Mysore and Ooty. I am not sure about the exact fare, but it should not be more than 200 bucks.

Another option is the SETC Ultra Deluxe bus service. SETC buses depart from the other side of the same bus stand. The price is around INR 300 per ticket. Journey duration is around 5 hours.

TNSTC too operates buses between Mysore and Ooty from the same bus stand, but that should be your last option. These are old model ordinary buses with uncomfortable seating. On top of that, these buses stop at all possible towns en-route, extending the journey time to 6-7 hours. Fare should be below INR 200.

For a more comfortable ride, you can book a taxi. In terms of cost, it would be quite expensive though - no less than INR 3000 for one-way trip. If you are comfortable driving in the hill sections, then I would suggest you to rent a self drive vehicle either from Avis or Myles. It would be much more convenient than hiring a taxi and would come at a cheaper cost. You won't even need to hire a taxi for the local sightseeing in Ooty. As already mentioned, the roads are in great condition and driving is a real pleasure.

Regards,
    Deb

3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Thanks for providing the details about Mysore to Ooty bus service. Yeah, self-drive could be an option. I didn't quite think about it though, but I will check with Avis and Myles. Could you please share the route details? Google Maps is showing two possible routes to reach Ooty from Mysore. One option is NH-212 + NH-67 and the other one being SH-86. Which one shall I take?

4. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

NH212 and NH67 is the best route to reach Ooty from Mysore. The distance increases by around 50 KM if you take the other route (SH86) via Madapura.

From Mysore, take the Outer Ring Road and drive towards Nanjangud. Follow the NH212 till you arrive at Gundulpet. From Gundulpet, NH212 takes a right turn towards Kalpetta. DO NOT take this right turn. Instead drive straight onto NH67. There is a big signboard at Gundulpet to provide you the necessary direction. Then drive straight towards Bandipur National Park. The road goes inside the park towards Theppakadu. From Theppakadu, there are two routes to reach Ooty. The shorter of the two goes via Masinagudi, while the other one (NH67) is via Gudalur.

The first route via Masinagudi has the famous 36 hairpin bends. The road is quite narrow and you will encounter both-way traffic. Take this route if you are confident about your driving ability.

Mysore to Ooty Route Option 1: Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundulpet - Bandipur - Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Ooty => 125 KM

Buses take the second route via Gudalur as this is a National Highway with wider roads. It is a two-lane road with one-way traffic, so much easier to drive. However, it will increase the distance by 20 KM.

Mysore to Ooty Route Option 2: Mysore - Nanjangud - Gundulpet - Bandipur - Theppakadu - Gudalur - Pykara - Ooty => 156 KM

Regards,
    Deb