1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Reach Ooty From Trivandrum

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by Mukul, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Mukul

Mukul New Member

My arrival is at Trivandrum airport, and I need to travel to Ooty where I will be spending seven days. Although my destination is Ooty, I had to choose Trivandrum airport as I have to meet someone there.
    I would leave Ooty the next day as the same day travel would be very tiring. I would like some suggestions from members to tell me what all options I have on how to reach Ooty from Trivandrum?

What is the most comfortable way to travel from Trivandrum to Ooty?

What is the quickest way to travel from Trivandrum to Ooty?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance between Trivandrum and Ooty is about 602.4 kms or about 12 to 13 hours of travel time, this is via National Highway 44.

Your first option would be via train. You would need to board the Trivandrum Central Railway Station. There are about 18 trains from this station to the Coimbatore Junction Railway Station. Some of these trains are:

• Dibrugarh Vivek Express Train No. 15905. Departs at 00:45 and arrives at 9:30 during Fridays.
    • Mumbai Express Train No. 16332. Departs at 4:25 and arrives at 13:32 during Saturdays.
    • Tirunelveli-Biraspur Express Train No. 22620. Departs at 4:25 and arrives at 13:30 during Sundays.
    • Rapti Sagar Express Train No. 12512. Departs at 6:10 and arrives at 15:20 during Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
    • Korba Express Train No. 22648. Departs at 6:10 and arrives at 15:20 during Mondays and Thursdays.
    • Sabari Express Train No. 17229. Departs at 7:17 and arrives at 16:30 everyday of the week.
    Now, when you reach the Coimbatore Train Station, you would need to ride a bus or a taxi going to Ooty. Ooty is still 85 kms away from Coimbatore. You can either go to Gandhipuram Bus Terminal or the Sai Baba Colony Bus Terminal to access these buses. Just outside the train station, there are taxis that can take you to the bus terminal or if you'd like, directly to Ooty.

Your next option would be to take a bus from Trivandrum to Coimbatore. There are direct buses for this route. Here's a list of some of the private buses with their tariffs:

• Kallada Travels. Departure at 10:00 pm and arrival at 6:00 am. This is a Volvo AC SL Bus, fare is at Rs. 700.
    • A1 Travels. Departure at 9:15 pm and arrival at 5:30 am. This is a Non-AC Seater/Sleeper Bus, fare is at Rs. 480 and above.
    Again, from Coimbatore, you have to take the same buses from stations mentioned above. You can also board buses from Trivandrum to Bangalore, Chennai or Hosur and then go to Ooty from there. Expect to pay anywhere between Rs. 1,995 and above.

Another option would be to ride an airplane. You can either fly to Kochi, Coimbatore or Calicut and then from there, ride a taxi to Ooty. Rates range from Rs. 5,500 to Rs. 16,100.

Your last option would be to hire a car or taxi to take you from Trivandrum to Ooty. This isn't as expensive as riding an airplane although it can take some time before you reach your destination still.

The most comfortable is no doubt via airplane. The next would be via car. Trains or buses can be comfortable depending on what type you choose. But the ride itself won't be as smooth and you cannot make stopovers at any place you want unlike with a car.

The quickest would be via airplane. You can reach Kochi, Coimbatore or Calicut in four hours time or less. And then, a taxi from there can be two hours or less to reach Ooty.

With car, you can reach Ooty in 10 hours depending on traffic and stopovers. Trains take longer with about 12 hours of travel time. Buses take the longest with about 15 hours or more of travel time.

I hope this helps!