1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

India Travel Trivia - Who Am I?

Discussion in 'Travel Trivia' started by Debapriya Deb, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Let me have the honor of creating the very first thread in this all new 'Travel Trivia' section.

Here's the quiz for you. You need to identify the destination based on a set of 5 facts/hints as given below -

1. I am known as a beach destination to the common Indian travellers.
    2. I have been mentioned in one of India's most famous mythological epics.
    3. My history dates back to the 1st Century AD, during which I was a bustling port city in India.
    4. I have been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site for the architectural marvels constructed during the medieval period.
    5. I am one among the few places where you can witness a unique fushion of Dravidian Architecture and Tibetan Buddhist Elements belonging to the 7th Century AD.

Can you identity who am I? If yes, then how did you arrive at this conclusion?

Regards,
    Deb

2. Debapriya Deb

Is anyone alive out there? Come on travel buffs and geography/history experts. Or shall I reveal the answer?

Regards,
    Deb

3. Delirium

Delirium Member

Is it Gokarna Beach? I don't know if I'm even close. I don't know that many beaches in India and I know practically nothing about India's mythological epics, even though they seem really interesting.

4. Debapriya Deb

I would have loved to say - 'bulls-eye', but sadly it's not Gokarna. Anyone else wanna have a go at the trivia? I will post the answer tomorrow if it remains unanswered.

Regards,
    Deb

5. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm here but I am completely stumped. I don't know enough about UNESCO world heritage sites to even guess!

But I'm curious to know what the answer is, so I'll check back tomorrow and see!

6. Debapriya Deb

To make it a little easier for you guys, here are a couple of images of a famous 7th century monument situated at the place in concern -

1758853.jpg

1603716.jpg

I think, it should be pretty easy now to guess the place.

Regards,
    Deb

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Is the place in north west india and does it begin with the letters Maha? If so I think I may know it. If I'm right, that's a very hard question to start the thread off with, haha!

8. Debapriya Deb

It's a place along the Coromandel coast (South-Eastern coast), but yeah, the name of the place does begin with 'Maha' :) I am sure, you have identified it correctly :) Bring out the answer, man!

Regards,
    Deb

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I actually put south-east in my original post but it changed to north-west without me noticing...anyway, I shall have to go with Mahabalipuram?

Although I may be totally wrong!

10. Debapriya Deb

You have nailed it. That indeed is the answer. Bravo!

UNESCO has recognized the Shore Temple, Chariot temple, Pandava's Cave and various other rock carving structures at Mahabalipuram as World Heritage Sites. Ancient Indian traders used to sail from the seaport of Mahabalipuram to do business with South East Asian countries. Most of the heritage structures at Mahabalipuram were constructed during the rulings of Pallava dynasty between the 3rd and 9th century. Pallava Kings Narasimhavarman and his successor Rajasimhavarman were known to patronage various art/craft forms and the structures constructed during their regimes showcase a unique blend of Dravidian architecture with Buddhist elements.

Regards,
    Deb

pwarbi likes this.
  11. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I wouldn't have got it without the pictures. That and the fact I was watching a travel documentary about Chennai a few days ago and they travelled down there, ha!

amelia88 and Debapriya Deb like this.
  12. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Good guess, Pwarbi! Perfect timing too having recently watched a documentary about the area as well!

It looks very interesting indeed. Love that picture of the sunset with the structure just as a silhouette - it's stunning!

Debapriya Deb likes this.
  13. Debapriya Deb

Thanks amelia88. You will be surprised to know that the picture was taken with a simple point-&-shoot digital camera. Who said you need a DSLR to click impressive photographs! Some of the best pictures I have ever captured were clicked with a 7 MP Kodak Point-&-Shoot camera :)

Regards,
    Deb

amelia88 likes this.
  14. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

Hey Deb! Thanks for spicing things up around here with the travel trivia! That was so much fun! Your photos were amazing! I still can't believe that was a point & shoot camera! Great photos man! I say it is not the camera that gets a great shot, it is the eye of the photographer!

Debapriya Deb likes this.