1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Sep 25, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Do any of you have trouble sleeping?!

For me it's a thing that comes and goes. I wouldn't say I have specific insomnia, but more just some nights where I can't seem to get to sleep - and then it just gets frustrating!

Do you have any tried and tested tricks for getting yourself to sleep if you're struggling to get some rest? I'm super tired right now because I had a terrible night's sleep last night!

2. Delirium

Delirium Member

I have the same problem as you. Some nights I just can't sleep at all, no matter how much I tried (it's not always there, it always come and goes).
    And when I do finally get myself to sleep, I wake up just hours later. Meaning getting a straight 7 or 8 hours of good night's sleep is actually impossible.

As for tricks, what I usually do is try to prevent myself from thinking about anything. Don't force yourself to think about nothing ('don't think about anything, don't think about anything, don't think about anything!') but just focus on thinking about the nothingness itself. Just imagine a borderless space where there's nothing but pitch darkness. Imagine yourself in the middle of it, and then imagine yourself laying down and sleeping.

It might not help that much but it works for me, or at least some of the times. It's the only thing I could do anyway, so I'm hanging on to any sort of hope that I could possible have.

amelia88 likes this.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Your post made me chuckle because I have been known to be one of those "don't think about anything!!" types when it comes to thinking about nothing! You were basically describing me right there. I liked your tips about just imagining a borderless space with nothing but darkness. Going to give that a try tonight and hopefully I'll nod off pretty easily...fingers crossed!

Delirium likes this.
  4. Pazooh

Pazooh New Member

I'm usually the exact opposite of an insomniac. I fall asleep rather easy, within minutes of actually going to sleep.

But sometimes, very rarely, I just can't sleep. And it's not only that I can't fall asleep, I also feel cranky, tired and even sick sometimes. It has so far happened maybe 10 times in my life, so it's nothing significant, and it doesn't bother me THAT much, but it's still a hassle when it happens.

I can't even imagine what's it like for people who have sleeping troubles every da...night.

5. Delirium

Delirium Member

So, did it work for you? I've been wondering. I'm really hoping it did :)

6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

So far it's been about 50/50! I'm really trying hard to rid myself of the inability to switch off but it's proving easier said than done, some nights! But 2 nights ago I had a really successful night's sleep and it made a huge difference to my day. I'm also trying to really limit my caffeine intake too - one coffee a day and that's it!

7. Delirium

Delirium Member

I'm really glad to hear that! Don't worry too much about 'switching off', it's really not something you master in just one night. I believe it varies from person to person. Some people can do it in after just a few days, some after a few weeks, some after a few months. No one can do it right away though! But just keep doing it and you'll eventually get there :) And yes, limiting your caffeine intake is very important as well - it's incredibly difficult (I mean we all love our coffee) but it really pays off when you're trying to get a better sleep.

8. KCDavis

KCDavis New Member

I do what Delirium does, for the most part. I just lay in my bed and meditate. Focus on my breathing, telling myself when I breath in and out. After a few minuets of that I generally start to feel lighter, and before I know it, its morning. I struggled with sleep for years before figuring out that little trick. Hope I might have been some help.

9. RShacklefurt

RShacklefurt New Member

I have pretty bad intermittent insomnia. My insomnia is generally due to my inability to make my brain stop thinking, and convince my body to relax. Open up YouTube, in about 6 tabs, and start playing something in all of them. Doesn't matter what, it could be Bob Ross, it could be heavy metal. Just multiple different distractions, now try to focus on all of them at the same time.

Generally I am laying in bed, trying to convince myself to stop thinking and to stop tossing and turning. Imagine you have had the absolute best night of sleep ever, you wake up, raring to go, but you are told that you have to lay down and go back to sleep. So, you lay down, turn on all six of those YouTube channels and try to focus on making yourself relax and tired again.

10. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'll have to try that too...sounds like an interesting approach, I'm curious to know whether or not it would work for me.

I've been better the last week or so. It comes and it goes. I guess maybe I had a ton of stuff on my mind that is slowly getting dealt with, and as a result I'm finding it easier to get some rest!

11. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

I have trouble sleeping if I use my laptop or smartphone before I go to bed. The light from the screen really wakes you up, it's a very bad habit that I'm trying to stop. When I wake up in the middle of the night due to a horrible dream or stress-related events I drink a cup of warm milk or chamomile tea and gradually I get back to being sleepy.

12. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

If I had a middle name it would probably be INSOMNIA. Sometimes I can't sleep for days and it is a torture. It is usually connected with some personal issue and I am a bit of a clockwork orange. I let some things to bother me more than they should because I draw the inspiration from pain. I write so I need it. Sometimes I create a scene to worry and have no seep therefore. A human mind is a total mystery.