1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it Good to Visit Kerala in July

Discussion in 'Kerala' started by Bhavaya, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Bhavaya

Bhavaya New Member

Monsoon season arrives around July most times of the year, and even this year it is unpredictable. I wanted to go to Kerala with my husband, but the only issue keeping me away from going is the weather in July. I don't want the weather to be a drawback for doing certain things which we would have been able to do if the weather was better.
    My husband and I don't particularly mind the monsoons and are willing to travel even if they have started.

When do the monsoons in Kerala arrive?

Even if monsoons have started in Kerala is it good to visit Kerala in July?

Can we still go on the backwaters if it's raining?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The monsoon season in Kerala begins by the end of May and ends in the end of November. There are two monsoon season in Kerala: the first one is the Southwest monsoon and the second is the Northeast monsoon.

Southwest monsoon season starts in May or early June. This is the longer monsoon season out of the two and can continue on until September. You can experience days and days of rain although it's rare to not see sunshine in between.

Northwest monsoon season starts in October and may last until the last week of November or even later. The difference with the other season is that rain starts late in the afternoon during this time, coupled by thunders and lightnings. Days are pretty much hot and humid as well.

Yes, Kerala is one of the most beautiful places in India during monsoon season. Take advantage of this and the various promos/discounts hotels and resorts offer during this time. Ayurvedic massage is recommended during this tim because it is said that the monsoon season helps open up our pores and make it more able to absorb the oils and essences.

The backwaters also become alive during monsoon season. You would find the views mesmerising especially when it's raining outside. Apart from that, Periyar National Park in Thekkady is open even in monsoon season. It's a great experience to visit the park during this time.

Several waterfalls in Kerala also become more beautiful during the monsoon season. Visit the Palaruvi Waterfalls, about 72 kms from Kollam. There's also the Keezharkuthu Waterfalls and the Perunthenaruvi Waterfalls, best visited from June onwards as well.

Yes, you can still ride a houseboat and explore the backwaters even if it's raining. In fact, it can be quite a great view from the houseboat and see the rain falling outside your window.

I hope this helps!