1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kanha and Bandhavgarh National Parks

Discussion in 'Wildlife and National Parks' started by Sonali, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Sonali

Sonali New Member

I along with my husband will be going Madhya Pradesh especially to visit one of the national parks, the two which we can not decide upon are Kanha and Bandhavgarh national parks. According to the reviews about these national parks, both of them are good, but I think to come to a final decision I need some other questions answered as well.

Which national park is bigger Kanha or Bandhavgarh?

In which park are there more chances of seeing tigers?

Which park is better accommodation wise?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum, @Sonali!

Here's the answers to your questions:

The Kanha Tiger Reserve is about 940 square kilometres. The Bandhavgarh has about 446 square kilometres in area. So in terms of size, the Kanha Tiger Reserve is bigger.

The Bandhavgarh National Park has a good number of tigers in the region. It is home to about 59 tigers. You can particularly see tigers in areas like Tala, Khitauli and Magdhi. The original white tiger even came from the Bandhavgarh National Park.

The Kanha Tiger Reserve has about 8 tigers per 100 square kilometres. In total, it has about 60 tigers in the area. Tigers seen in the area includes the Choti Mada, Munna, Badi Mada and many more.

Since the Bandhavgarh National Park is smaller, you have higher chances of spotting a tiger in there. But many tourists have reported seeing tigers in the Kanha Tiger Reserve as well.

Both parks have its merits. I would say that Kanha is overall a great place not just for spotting tigers but for spotting different animals. It has mostly Sal trees and it has a tiger show for spotting tigers easily.

Bandhavgarh is smaller hence better chances of spotting tigers. The staff here are extremely helpful as well. The trees around the area are Sal, Bamboo and Mahua. During April, it's quite easy to spot tigers when riding jeeps.

It depends upon you but if your main aim to spot tigers, go for Bandhavgarh. But if you want to experience the jungle overall, then Kanha is perfect for you.

I hope this helps!

3. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

I would have to say that for an overall flora and fauna experience, to visit Kanha. It is a more rich overall experience. But please keep in mind that if tigers, and tigers alone are what you seek, try Bandhavgarh. The overall smaller area of the park, combined with relatively similar numbers of the animals, means that you are more likely to stumble upon them, and more likely to see the animals in family groups, than you would be in Kanha. At the end of the day, however, I have heard from reliable and well-traveled sources that both places will make for an unforgettable experience!