1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Konark Dance Festival

Discussion in 'East India' started by JManara, Feb 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JManara

JManara Member

While looking for festivals, I came across the Konark Dance Festival in Konark, Orissa. It sounds like an interesting mix of cultural dance, music, crafts and food, over a 4 day period in February. Has anyone been to the festival? We have festivals here in my country and I enjoy visiting them and taking part in the dance festivities and food.

2. JoJo

JoJo New Member

I have not been but it does sound like you could get a good taste of the culture. Please don't go alone. It's always good to have a traveling companion. And....enjoy every minute of the festival.

3. JManara

JManara Member

I won't be alone, I'll have my significant other with me. I find it interesting to see native dances from different countries and I have a feeling this one will be colorful.

4. Jaynee

Jaynee New Member

I have seen photographs from this festival and it looks truly amazing. I think the architecture of the hall where they hold events would be worth the visit alone. Wouldn't it be fabulous if you could join in some of the dancing? I know some festivals are keen for visitors to do that.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Member

We did not get to see anything extravagant like that or any other festivals when we were over in India, but I have to say that all of these seem so intriguing to me that I would have loved to go and see one. My head is full of those what if scenarios when it comes to my trips, and India especially had a lot of those because there is just so much to see and so little time to do it all.

6. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, guys!

The Konark Dance Festival is believed to have started in the year 1989. It was the Orissa Tourism and Odissi Research Centre who started this wonderful and lively festival. It is held annually, during the month of December, for about three to seven days. The venue is open air, right at the Konark Sun Temple in Orissa. It is a celebration of the traditional dances and music of the country.

The Konark Sun Temple is the perfect venue. Built about 700 years ago, the various sculptures and structures in the temple are just apt for the festival. You can even find various sculptures in Odissi dance poses. The dancing hall of the temple is called the "Natya Madir." It has proven to be the best place to conduct the performances because of its elegant design and interiors.

Several dances are performed during this festival. A few of them are the following: Odissi, Bharat Natyam, Manipuri, Kathak and Chau. Performers from all over the country gather in the temple to showcase their beautiful dances. Combined with the sound of traditional musical instruments, it is a spectacular show that is a must to watch.

Although the festival focuses on the performances, the State Industry Department also organises a crafts show every year. It's a great way to help the local craftsmen showcase their talents and products as well. Don't forget to buy some of their handcrafted items if you go to the festival! And oh, there's delectable food you can try as well.

It is usually during the first days of December that the festival is done. So from December 1 to December 7, although it varies from year to year. It's best to access the website of Orissa Tourism to make sure before you go.

I hope this helps!