1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Language and dialects

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Alexandoy, May 9, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Does India have dialects? In the Philippines, foreigners are confused because they try to learn Filipino in Metro Manila but when they go to the southern part of the country, the dialect is different and they feel that it was a waste to have studied Filipino. I am asking this question because I usually try to learn basic conversational sentences and words before I go to a foreign country. Our trip to Japan in January had me learning Ohaiyo for good morning and arigato for thank you. Anyway, I am ignorant of India and I would greatly appreciate responses to my queries.

2. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

There is a saying India is of Billion people with Million languages. Although just about 22 or so are scheduled languages there are several dialects and languages spread over the country. But there are distinct languages which are spoken in different States. You wil lfind Hindi spoken in Northern India, Tamil in Tamil Nadu, Malayalam in Kerala, Kannada in Karnataka, Konkani in Goa, Punjabi in Punjab and so on. All these languages however have countless dialects. As long as you are dealing with the educated you will have no problem as they will all speak the language and not the dialect associated with it.