1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manali To Leh Bus Service

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Sonali Roy, Apr 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sonali Roy

Sonali Roy New Member

Hello,

As you may already know from my other posts that me and my friend are planning a road trip to Leh from Kolkata via Manali so I have a few more questions about Manali Leh toute but about public transport this time although we would be driving. In case we decided we dont want to drive from Manali to Leh and would instead like to get a bus upto Leh is that even an option? Is there a bus from Manali to Leh and does it make enough stop overs for us to get a chance to take some photos on the way?

Manali to Leh bus service if it even exists, what are the buses like? Are there any Volvo buses that run between Manali and Leh?

Is there a way to book Manali to Leh bus tickets online? How much does it cost and how much should I expect to pay the driver who would drive our can from Manali to Leh?

The reason we are looking at using public transport is that we are two girls and from what I have read and heard on this forum that route is not an easy one so trying to avoid being on our own and looking to take public transport for that portion. Ive been told that Leh to Srinagar road is full of Army check points and is a lot safer bet.

I hope some of the experienced members can help us with as much info as possible about Manali to Leh bus service.

Thanks
    Sonali

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

There are two bus services that go from Manali to Leh, one service run by HPTDC and other by HRTC. HPTDC bus leaves Manali at 9AM and tickets in 2016 will cost Rs2700 per person. These are not Volvo buses but regular buses. HRTC does not have a direct bus service, their buses run from Manali to Keylong where you will have to stay over night then catch another bus from Keylong to Leh. You can book your Manali to Leh bus tickets online.

Manali to Leh bus service only runs a few months every year in Summer after snow is cleared from the roads by BRO and other government agencies.

You are planning to hire a driver for your car, why would you take the bus and not go in the car with the driver? Get a driver from some reputed agency, take his picture and details and send it over to your family and let him know you did that and you will be fine. I don't see a point in sending your car with a driver and yourself taking a bus ride. There are lots of taxi stands at Manali where drivers are also available if you don't want to drive yourself and those drivers know their way on those roads. If you are concerned about being stranded on Manali Leh highway route then take the Srinagar Leh highway instead.

3. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

You can use the link Chahal has provided to book HPTDC tickets online for Rs2700 but the HRTC bus tickets from Manali to Leh normally cost about Rs800-900 less as compared to HPTDC.

Getting a driver makes absolutely no sense if you are going to travel in a bus, park your car at Manali and it would work out cheaper and you can get a taxi for sigh seeing at Leh. Driver would probably charge atleast Rs1000 a day may be more depending upon where you get your driver from. I believe you would be better of finding travel partners who would be willing to either drive your car or take you with them in their car Manali onwards. I hope you get some responses on your travel partners thread that you created a few days ago. I have already been to Leh else I might have packed my bags.

Good luck

4. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would avoid the bus, and go with the driver in the car, or go by plane or train. I think the bus complicates matters, and I don't understand why if you are getting a driver. Also, I don't think the bus will afford many stopovers for sightseeing. Better to save time and see things at your destination.

5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

HPTDC tickets cost more because it also includes tent accommodation at Keylong with Dinner and breakfast. It is good value for money if you ask me. HRTC buses go from Delhi to Leh in less then 35 hours with an hours break at Manali and over night stop at Keylong, passengers have to make their own arrangements for the over night stay at Keylong.

The only problem with HPTDC is that even after you book a ticket if they don't get at least 10 passengers they would cancel the scheduled bus for that day. This does not normally happen but if it did happen you will have to wait until the next day.

6. Sonali Roy

Sonali Roy New Member

Thanks ever so much to all those who replied to my query. We have decided not to take the bus and drive to Leh ourselves. I am really looking forward to the trip.

7. Karan_14

Karan_14 New Member

Hi Sonali, we are 5 to 6 friends going to Leh from Shimla via Spiti and we will be going in 1st week of June in SUV's and u too go on SUV it may be 4x4 or not but should have nice ground clearance and dont go on an i20 as it will ruin your tour.We all are ready.

8. Karan_14

Karan_14 New Member

Hi Sonali if you travel by yourself then you must be in company of one more cars or more as u don't get mechanics on the way and also its a tough terrain.If you can travel by bus then that's safe but not that much enjoyable.