1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Myanmar to India via the Tamu - Moreh land border

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by CWT91, Jun 11, 2016.

  1. CWT91

    CWT91 New Member

    I am planning to travel overland from Myanmar to India via the Tamu - Moreh land border. I do know about the permit needed by foreigner to cross this border. May i know has anyone done this crossing before? If yes, where and how can i get the border crossing permit.

    Next, if i successfully cross the land border into India, i do know that i will be in Manipur state in NE India. I plan to travel around NE India before eventually crossing another border into Nepal. My concerns are the special permits needed to travel in Sikkim & Arunachal Pradesh. If I plan to visit Nagaland, Assam do i need permit too? What are the transport and accommodation options in NE India? I am a backpacker and prefer cheap or reasonable accommodation options. Also, it would be great if someone can tell me about the weather in NE India during the months of July or August? I read about it and it seems to be the Monsoon Season during this time of the year.

    Travelling Choo (Facebook Page)
    Admin likes this.

  2. Chahal

    Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

    You need to apply for a tourist visa and mention the mode of transport which in your case will be by road. I am not aware of any permit requirement on the Indian side as long as you have a valid visa that says entry by land (or whatever the technical term is including the port of entry).

    On the Myanmar side you need a permit that you can get from MTT (Myanmar Tour and travels) at Yangon , may also be possible at other places but that's the one I know.

    You would need a PAP (protected area permit) that can be issued by the consulate along with the tourist visa but you cannot travel on your own like you plan to travel. PAP requires foreign tourists to travel in groups of at least two. Another hurdle is that it is only issued for ten days and also requires you to travel through a registered travel agent.

    There are plenty of choices when it comes to accommodation, from Rs500-600 going up to Rs10-15000 per night depending upon the property you choose. You can also try airbnb and see if you can find something interesting.

    Most routes have shared jeeps available or buses so transportation shouldnt be a problem and it is cheap.

    Most areas will be warm and humid and frequent rains and in some places constant rains. Trekking is not a good idea in those days.

    I hope this helps.

  3. CWT91

    CWT91 New Member

    This is really helpful. Thanks for the information!