1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearest metro station to Humayun Tomb

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Kokila, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Kokila

Kokila New Member

I am going to be staying in Delhi to see the famous tourist attractions. I have most of the list of places to see sorted out, and one of the places to see is Humayun Tomb.
    I need to know a bit more about this place and mainly what the nearest metro station is to it.
    Some of my main concerns are:

1. Is it a safe place to be around at during the night, as it will be a couple of us girls?

2. What part of Delhi is this in?

3. Are there other nearby places to see near Humayun Tomb?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello, @Kokila! Welcome to the forum!

Here are the nearest metro stations to Humayun's Tomb in Delhi:
    • Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Metro Station in Violet Line - This is about 2 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Khan Market Metro Station in Violet Line - This is about 3.3 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Jangpura Metro Station in Violet Line - This is about 4 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Pragati Maidan Metro Station in Blue Line - This is about 5 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Moolchand Metro Station in Violet Line - This is about 5 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Race Course Metro Station in Yellow Line - This is about 5.1 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Jorbagh Metro Station in Yellow Line - This is about 6 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Kailash Colony Metro Station in Violet Line - This is about 6.3 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Indraparshtha Metro Station in Blue Line - This is about 8 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Nehru Place Metro Station in Violet Line - This is about 9 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    • Mayur Vihas Phase I Metro Station in Blue Line - This is about 11 kms from Humayun's Tomb.
    So your nearest option is theJawaharlal Nehru Stadium Metro Station in Violet Line. You can walk to reach Humayun's Tomb or even ride an auto rickshaw from this metro station.

The Humayun's Tomb is open daily from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. I don't think you can visit it at night time. It's generally a safe area as it has guards to protect both the monument and the tourists. The latest you can reach the tomb is at sunset but beyond that, they won't allow you to enter the premises anymore.

The tomb is located in the crossing of the Mathura Road and the Lodhi Road. You can find it on the East of Nizammudin in the city. It is also spotted easily from the banks of the Yamuna River.

Here are some other attractions nearby Humayun's Tomb:
    • Humayun's Mosque - This is about 0.1 km from Humayun's Tomb. This is inside the tomb complex of Humayun. It was built in 1530 under the orders of Humayun. According to the inscriptions inside the tomb, the financing for the construction of the tomb was under Sheikh Zain Khawafi. This is a five-arched mosque built with brick masonry and has white plaster work above it. It is in ruins now but the step well and the monolithic stone block has remained.
    • Char Bagh - This is about 0.2 km from Humayun's Tomb. Char means four and bagh means garden. The garden is divided by four walkways, hence the name. This garden can be found in the tomb complex as well but it's worth mentioning because of its beautiful landscape. The walkways have water bodies and canals which add to the elegance of the garden. You can find Cypress trees all around, aside from the other kinds of trees.
    • Chilla Nizammudin Auliya - This is about 0.2 km from Humayun's Tomb. This was the retreat of Hazrar Nizammudin Auliya. This is where the 14th Century saint lived, meditated and died. The saint performed the chilla-kashi, in which the sufi goes to meditate without water, food or sleep for 40 days.
    • Isa Khan's Tomb - This is about 0.4 km from Humayun's Tomb. This is an octagonal shaped tomb, with canopies, glazed tiles and lattice screens. It also has a veranda supported by pillars all around. And although it's located inside the Humayun's Tomb, Isa Khan's Tomb has been around the area for much longer, around two decades earlier than the former. Isa Khan Niazi was a former nobleman in the courts of Sher Shah Suri.
    • Hazrat Nizammudin Darga - This is about 0.7 km from Humayun's Tomb. This tomb houses the grave of Nizammudin Auliya, Amir Khusro and Jehan Ara Begum. It is situated in the Nizammudin West area, as contrasted to the Humayun's Tomb which is the Nizammudin East area. This darga is visited by thousands of Muslims every week, although there's a fair share of Hindu and Christian visitors as well.
    • Abdul Nabi Mosque - This is about 0.5 km from Humayun's Tomb. This was built in 1575-1576 by Shaikh Abdul Nabi. He was the ecclesiastical registrar of Akbar during his reign. Due to some in agreements with regards to finances, Shaikh was put in prison and murdered. This mosque is visited by thousands of Muslims every week during Friday.
    • Swaminarayam Akshardham - This is about 3.5 kms from Humayun's Tomb. This is both a Hindu temple and spiritual campus in Delhi. It is said that about 70% of tourists to Delhi visit this attraction. Its main attraction is the Akshardham Mandir, which has carvings of dancers, deities and musicians. It was made using pink sandstone and marble. The Sahajanand Darshan features the life of Swaminarayam through robotics and dioramas. The Nilkanth Darshan has Delhi's first and only large format screen.
    • Lodhi Gardens - This is about 2.8 kms from Humayun's Tomb. Inside the gardens, the tombs of Mohammad Shah and Sikandar Lodi can be found. Aside from these, the Shisha Gumbad and Bara Gumbad are also inside the gardens.
    • India Gate - This is about 2.9 kms from Humayun's Tomb. This memorial is dedicated to the 82,000 Indian soldiers who died during the World War I between 1914 to 1921. The gate's first foundation stone was laid during 1921 but it took around 10 years to complete it. The memorial was designed by Edwin Lutyens.
    • Purana Qila - This is about 1.9 kms from Humayun's Tomb. This is also known as the Old Fort. The current structure was built by Sher Shah Suri around 1540. Although originally, Humayun built the fort in 1533. Some believe that the fort was left unfinished until the death of Sher Shah Suri and it was his son who completed it. Indrapat, the first city of Delhi, is thought to have existed within these walls, as evidenced by findings of the ASI. Inside the fort, the Qila Kuhna Masjid and Sher Mandal can be found.
    I hope this helps.

:)

Admin likes this.

3. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

As mentioned Humayun's Tomb is only open until 6 pm. As a bit of personal advice, I would actually suggest that it's not really safe to be around outside later than 9 pm or 10 pm, due to the kind of things that have happened in the past in the city. If you do wish to stay out late, make sure that you are in crowded places and that you book a proper taxi from a cab company.