1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Delhi to Amritsar

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by ulimateape, Dec 3, 2014.

1. ulimateape

ulimateape New Member

Hello

I am reaching New Delhi on January 4, 2015 and after spending a few days in New Delhi I want to visit the Golden Temple and Wagha border in Amritsar. This is not my first trip to New Delhi so I know about traffic and how things work here, but it would be my first time in Amritsar. What I am trying to know here is:
    How much time it takes from New Delhi to Amritsar?
    What is the best means of transport from New Delhi to Amritsar, is it rail, road or air?

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

New Delhi to Amritsar distance is about 500Kms and by road it would easily take you around 8-9 hours with one or two breaks. The best way however is by train and I would highly recommend Amritsar Shatabdi. There are two trains every day and food is served in the train. Fare is also reasonable and booking in tatkal is never a problem. This train is one of the fastest ways to get to Amritsar from Delhi.

You can also take a flight from Delhi to Amritsar but it would more or less take the same amount of time as the shatabdi train if you factor in the time you spend going to and from the airport and also the time you spend waiting for boarding and for collecting your luggage.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Government has just passed a law that tickets for flights that are less than an hours flying time cannot be sold for more than Rs2500 so flight tickets are going to be cheaper and with just under an hours flight as opposed to 8-9 hours by road or 6 hours by train I believe a flight is the best option.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

The distance from New Delhi to Amritsar is 455.2 kms, so that's about 6 to 7 hours when you're driving a car.

Well, it depends on what is your concern the most. If your concern is the speed of the travel, then the best means of transport for you would be via an airplane. The plane ticket price from New Delhi to Amritsar varies but it ranges from Rs 2,450 to Rs 5,000. Choosing this transportation mode, you'll get to your destination in about 3 hours time.

If your concern is your budget, then you must consider going to Amritsar via bus. It only costs Rs 850 to Rs 1,180 if you take this means of transportation. Downside is, it can take the longest time, about 8 hours.

If you have some budget but not enough for a plane ticket, then your best bet would be the train. Train ticket costs Rs 850 to Rs 1,300 and you can reach your destination in about 7 hours.

I hope this helps!

5. Kritika

Kritika New Member

Yeah this is right if you have the option of travelling in an hour from New Delhi to Amritsar then why pick trains or rental cars which approximately takes 5-6 hours in covering 500 Km of distance, but then again this is your trip only you can decide your transportation mode.
    Moreover if you are interested in watching all the beautiful sights that may crosses your way than hiring a taxi would be a great option as it gives an opportunity to enjoy your ride and stop whenever you feel. Anyway have a great trip and great food as Amritsar is city of delicious and finger liking local food and sweets. yummyy......