1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old Goa Tourist Places

Discussion in 'Goa' started by Smiths, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Smiths

Smiths New Member

Back again with another thread!

I know old Goa has many churches and old Goan and Portuguese buildings, which are loved by my family, the kids get to learn about the culture and get a history lesson.
    As there are many churches in old Goa I would like to know about the important old Goa tourist places and churches. Please include as much detail as you can about the tourist places in old Goa.

1. Would a whole be enough to explore old Goa and its tourist places?

2. Is there any day when tourist places are closed?

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello again!

Here's a list of the best places you can visit in Old Goa:

• Basilica of Bom Jesus.This contains the tomb and remains of St. Francis Xavier. The construction of the basilica started during 1954 and was completed in 1604. It is a combination of Renaissance, Doric, Ionic and Corinthian designs. This is also the only church in Goa that isn't plastered on the outside. Open everyday from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm.
    • Se Cathedral. Dubbed as the largest church in Asia, its construction started during 1562 although it is only 90 years later that it was completed. One of the bell towers of the church has already collapsed though due to lightning in 1772. It also houses the Golden Bell which is again, the largest in Asia. Opening hours: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm, Mass 7:00 am & 6:00 pm Monday to Saturday, 7:15 am, 10:00 am & 4:00 pm Sunday.
    • Church and Covenant of St. Cajetan. It is said that this church was modelled similarly to St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. This church was built by the Order of Theatines. It is the only remaining domed church in the whole of Goa.
    • Church of St. Francis of Assisi. Though it's not in use as a place of worship anymore, you can still visit this church and enjoy the beautiful interiors. Open all weekdays from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm, Sundays closed.
    • Church of Our Lady of the Rosary. You could actually see the Mandovi River from the church. Some believe that this is where St. Francis gave his first sermon upon arriving on Goa. Open from 9:00 AM to 5:30 PM on all days of the week
    • Archaeological Museum.This houses some important sculptures from Hindu temple sites in Goa. Two bronze statues stand here as well namely: Luis Vaz de Camoes and Afonso de Albuquerque. On the second level, you'll see about 60 of Goa's Portuguese viceroys in pictures. Open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm everyday.
    • Museum of Christian Art. Features mostly Portuguese arts about Christianity. Open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm every day.
    • Kristu Kala Mandir Art Gallery. Has collections of Christian art and other religious items. Open from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm during Tuesdays to Sundays.
    Yes, one whole day would be enough to visit these places. You can opt for a guided tour to fully understand these places and their history. But touring them on your own is just as good as well.

I've already included the timings of openings of each place in the list above. The Church of St. Francis of Assisi is closed during Sundays. The Kristu Kala Mandir Art Gallery is closed during Mondays. I cannot find the schedule for the Church and Covenant of St. Cajetan though. All others are open all days of the week.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.