1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ooty Toy Train vs Shimla Toy Train

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Rider, May 13, 2015.

1. Rider

Rider New Member

Is there any difference between the the toy train in Ooty and the toy train Shimla? My kids want to go on the toy train and we have planned a trip for Kerela next month and thinking that if the toy train in Shimla is different from the one in Ooty then we would make changed to our trip.

sarahsmith likes this.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Both the trains are the same, the only difference would be the surrounding areas, otherwise the train ride and the type of train used is the same.

sarahsmith likes this.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Although I have not been on the Ooty one but I would imagine both the trains will have their own charm and the scenery you come across will vary widely. For kids it probably wont make much of a difference as kids are mostly interested in trains as opposed to the scenery.

4. Shaila

Shaila New Member

What exactly is the toy train? I have heard of it but never seen it or been on it.

5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Toy trains are small trains which run in mountain regions..
    as far as i know we have 3 toy trains :

1)Shimla toy train ( running from Kalka to Shimla)
    2)Darjeling toy train ( from new jalpaiguri - darjelling)
    3)ooty/nilgiri toy train ( no idea)

i have travelled in both shimla and darjelling toy train.. Shimla toy train is good , Divine scenes, over 100 tunnles the longest being over 100m long...quite fun.. look out of your window and at times one would get scared of the deep valleys..

darjelling toy train run on the same road where cars/buses/bikes etc. run.. its good as well but its much time consuming.. there a station named "ghum" is the highest stn in india. there's a point called as batasia loop where the train takes a "U" turn or makes an angles of 360* marvelous!!

both are amzing. Hopefully some other member would throw some light on ooty toy train but i guess it would better than others..

Admin, Sramana and Alexandoy like this.
  6. Amit.Ayer

Amit.Ayer New Member

I have been on both the Shimla toy train and Ooty toy train, and there is no difference in the trains and surroundings are a bit similar too as both of the locations are in the hills.

travelguide likes this.
  7. Rider

Rider New Member

Thank you for the clarification everyone.

8. PriteshMakkar

PriteshMakkar New Member

What is the ticket cost for the toy train?

9. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

I totally agree with the above comment. There is not much of a difference between these two journeys and no major change in scenery too. But you should never miss this journey as it can offer you a different experience in your life. You can also enjoy the scenic beauty of hills around you as your travel.

10. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Wow, it looks like an enjoyable ride on that train where you mentioned divine scenes. And the hundred tunnels would be a sight with those valleys down below. I have fear of heights, you know. Maybe I need to put this train ride in my list of things to do in India.

By the way, we had been to the travel fair last Saturday. My wife agreed that we check the airline for plane tickets to India. Unfortunately, the travel fair was only for domestic travel and what they sell are local destinations and accommodations only. We still have no trips for next year so we are now scouting for destinations that we can avail of discounted plane tickets.

11. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

If you have a fear of heights than this train isnt for u buddy..

there are sometimes very steep slopes just look out of window and you would think will I fall if I look out of the window?

It's one of the best train journeys in India..

Sent from my Lenovo A6000 using Tapatalk

12. dylan

dylan New Member

Been in shimla for like six months.Great place to chill.And about that toy train its real fun you have got great mountain view,cool breez,clean areas also very kind and friendly people will be giving you some company there.Try it and i promise you will not regret it