1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toy Train in Shimla

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Sham, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Sham

Sham New Member

I am going Shimla with my family in May and going on the toy train is a place we want to go. I need some questions answered regarding the toy train, so please be kind enough to provide me with the information.
    • Where does the toy train in Shimla operate from?
    • Is the toy train journey a days trip or would we have to stay over night somewhere?
    • How much does the train ride cost?
    • What are the train timings?
    • Is there any particular time when the train is not operational?

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

This train starts from Kalka (Chandigarh).

From Kalka to Shimla this train takes around 5 hours one way.

It was around Rs400-500 if I remember corectly. You can check the price and book it online on IRCTC website.

There are 3-4 trains daily I believe I am not too sure. Check on IRCTC website.

Not that I am aware of.

3. Sham

Sham New Member

Thank you for the quick reply Admin.
    I didn't realize that the journey would be 5 hours I was actually expecting it to be 1 - 2 hours, what I also did not know was that boarding is from Chandigarh I thought it was within Shimla itself, glad I asked these questions.

What is the arrival destination of the train?

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Yes it is not a bullet train :) Takes a little more than 5 hours.

Final destination is Shimla.

5. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

dude... you are going to enjoy the best train journey in india!!

the train takes around 5 hours but it may increase depending wether the line is clear or not. i reached shimla in more than 5 hours it stopped near a forest area for 20 min. due to some issues and all were off the train at the moment. what a great experiecne i had!
    Train runs only during the day.

dont worry about time its worthy! you would be seeing amazing scenery on your way, the train passes through over 100 tunnels..
    dont forget to click a pic when the train passes over the hills infront of shimla from where the entire shimla is visible.. The Journey On A whole Is Once in a life time experience...

i think there are 2 trains one which is deluxe(better coaches and some other stuff) and the other is normal coaches.. but check on irctc site, not too sure.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    Admin likes this.
  6. Prits

Prits Member

BadBoy seems like you have traveled alot...:)

I have seen the train in travel programs and in movies, but never been myself. Sorry Sham to poke in the thread!

How far is the mall area or some good hotels from the train station?

BadBoy likes this.
  7. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Not much though ;)

i think the mall road is around 2kms from station, not so far.

8. panchabhut

panchabhut New Member

There are three types.
    1. Rail Motor Car
    2. Shivalik Deluxe
    3. General type.

Rail Motor Car and Shivalik Deluxe Starts from Kalka at around 6 pm. Both are connecting trains to Delhi-Kalka mail and normally waits till the arrival of Delhi-Kalka.

Try to get a ticket for the Rail Motor Car. It is a really one of a kind experience. You would not find any similar rail car anywhere else. It also takes slightly less time.

Admin likes this.