1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Places to see in Nainital

Discussion in 'Uttarakhand' started by NJK, Jul 8, 2016.

1. NJK

NJK New Member

Nainital is a place which I would like to visit but what has always stopped me from going is the things to do and places to see there. As far as I know Nainital has, I think 3 or 4 lakes, which I think would all be the same, seeing one would be okay. I would like to see more of the destination, but only if I know about the places to see in Nainital.

I think there are a few tourist places which are 30 - 40 minutes away from Nainital, so please mention those too.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's a list of attractions to see in Nainital, other than the lakes:
    • The Naina or Cheena Peak. This is considered as the highest peak in Nainital at an elevation of about 2,615 metres above sea level. From the peak, you could see the entire valley below which is an amazing view.
    • The Tiffin Top. This one's elevated at a height of 2,292 metres above sea level. Aside from Nainital, you can view the Himalayas from here. Also known as Dorothy's Seat, as an English painter named Dorothy used to sit here to paint.
    • PT GB Pant High Altitude Zoo. At an altitude of about 2,100 metres above sea level, this zoo contains some endangered species of animals that can only be found in this region. Examples are the Snow Leopard and the Himalayan Bear.
    • Gurney House. This is a cottage that used to be the home of Jim Corbett. You'll find this just near the Nainital Lake.
    • Eco Cave Gardens. This is about seven interconnected caves with narrowing and winding paths. There's amazing views in the caves as well. During night time, there's an evening musical fountain show here.
    • Kilbury Bird Sanctuary. You'll find about 240 species of birds in here and it is about 2,000 metres above sea level.
    • Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences. This is an astronomical observatory just very near Nainital. You can view celestial bodies from the telescopes here. A great place for budding scientists or frustrated scientists.
    And now, here's a list of some nearby places from Nainital, 30 to 40 minutes away:
    • Bhowali. This is just 11 kms away from Nainital, so you can reach it in 30 minutes or less. Some attractions here are: Sainik School Ghorakhal, Golu Devta Temple, Shyamket Tea Garden and Folk Culture Museum.
    • Khurpatal. This is just 10.9 kms away from Nainital, so you can reach it under 30 minutes time. This is yet another lake, but the difference here is that it's a favourite angling spot.
    • Pangoot. This is about 17 kms away from Nainital, so you can reach it in 40 minutes or so. Attractions here are: Shiv Mandir and Rainbasera. This is also the best place for bird watching as you'll see lots of migratory birds here. For trekkers, the Guano Hills has dense forests that are great for hiking.
    I hope this helps!