1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rohtang Pass Opening for tourists

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Anurag, May 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Anurag

Anurag Member

As from my previous post you may know that I am planning a trip to Manali, I would also like to go to Rohtang Pass. I know that the pass is closed for tourists at times, and I need to know what months the pass is open so that we can go and visit the snow area which is quite popular.

How long does the journey from Manali to Rohtang Pass take?

2. Sunny

Sunny New Member

Rohtang pass usually opens in early June, but when you are in Manali get the opening times confirmed by the hotel you will be staying at. If you are able to change holiday dates then maybe you can go according to the Rohtang pass opening times by again confirming with the hotel.

3. Shiv

Shiv Member

The journey from Manali to Rohtang Pass would take around 2 hours.

Please also read the thread about Rohtang Pass charges.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Rohtang Pass is open from May to November. Sometimes, it's open from May to October only. It depends on the weather conditions really for that month. It is closed for the remaining months due to landslides and avalanches which aren't uncommon especially during the winter months.

Also, Rohtang Pass is closed for tourists during Tuesdays as well. This is to give way to road clearing and maintenance done by the government. Make sure you schedule your trip accordingly so you won't be disappointed.

Other important information you might need:
    • It is only open from 6:00 am to 11:00 am for vehicles wishing to go to Rohtang Pass. After 11:00 am, no vehicles wanting to visit Rohtang Pass will be allowed to enter.
    • From 11:00 am to 6:00 pm, vehicles are allowed to leave Rohtang Pass to Manali.
    • For buses or vehicles going to Spiti, Leh or Lahaul, they can pass through Rohtang from 5:00 pm to 6:00 am.
    The distance between Rohtang Pass and Manali is just 51 kms so ideally, it should just be a 2 hours drive. However, due to traffic and a huge number of vehicles going to the area, the hours increase to about 5 to 8 hours for that short distance. If you can leave as early as you can for Manali, do so, you can reach Rohtang Pass earlier and avoid the congestion this way.

I hope this helps!