1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow in Manali during May

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Jay, Mar 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jay

Jay New Member

We are planning a family holiday to Manali in May, and the kids want to see snow. As May is a very hot month and temperatures in Manali are decent I am in doubt that whether there will be any snow in May or not. I know there is snow during the winter season but we don't really want to travel in the winters.
    If there is no snow in Manali during May, please suggest any other place near by where we would be able to see snow.

2. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

There wont be any fresh snow at Manali in the month of May. You could go to Solang vally or snow point if you want to see some old snow.

3. amitsharma1424

amitsharma1424 New Member

I was there at manali last week and there was no snow there at all...but you can go to Solang valley (aprox 15-20km from Manali). snow will be there...or you can check for Rohtang pass if roads are open.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Here's some places in Manali where there's snow in the summer (all-year round as well!):
    • Rohtang Pass. This is open from May to October only or from June to November only. It depends on how early heavy snowfall sets in. Although there's snow in here during the summer months, it won't be the purest kind or the whitest kind. Expect some mud and dirt along with the snow. Kids can still play with the snow though and the climate is a bit cooler here than in the city. Some opt to do some snow activities like scooter rides, skiing or paragliding.
    • Rani Nala. This is located en route to Rohtang Pass. This is a glacier point so there's snow all-year round here as well. However, unlike other destinations, there's not much activity you can do here. In fact, it's just picture taking and sightseeing that you can do here.
    • Solang Valley or Snow Point. This is also en route to Rohtang Pass. This is a famous spot for skiing and other snow activities. Snow might be dirty and muddy here as well during the summer season though. Horse riding is another famous activity here.
    Then, here's some nearby places in Manali where there's snow in the summer:
    • Kufri. This is about 263 kms from Manali. You might be able to find snow here, depending on how far off the summer you are. Some snow activities like skiing and tobogganing can be done here as well.
    • Narkanda. This is about 209 kms from Manali. You can even its highest peak the Hattu Peak. There's snow all-year round here as well.
    I hope this helps!