1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow in Manali

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Shirish, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Shirish

Shirish New Member

From what I have read and seen on the internet there are certain areas in and around Manali which have snow, where you can go and ski and do other snow activities. It is very unclear to exactly which areas these are and whether the snow is still there during the summer season as in June to August time. I would like further information on the snow areas in Manali, like when snow is available, whether you can do the activities during summer and which parts of Manali or parts around Manali have snow.

2. SachinS

SachinS New Member

Snow is seen in Rohtang Pass during May/June time and you are also able to do activities there as well. Please be aware that charges are now incurred when going to Rohtang Pass.

3. Rudra

Rudra New Member

Chances of snow in Manali itself is low, if you really want snow and snow activities it would be advisable to visit during the winters.

4. Shirish

Shirish New Member

Thanks guys for the replies, just seen the thread that SachinS has replied to about the Rohtang Pass charges, and think I may just cancel the visit as we intended on taking an Innova which would cost us a lot.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

There are two places in Manali where there's a greater chance of seeing snow. These are:
    • Rohtang Pass. This is closed during Tuesdays and from November until the end of heavy snowfall. The best time to visit this is actually in the beginning of summer season. You'll find some snow here and you can even participate in some snow activities. Back then, horse rides and scooter rides can be done here. As per the NGT's newly passed regulation though, these activities aren't available anymore. However, you can still enjoy the snow and the cold weather here. Snow is available here all-year round although of course, it's during the winter months that snow is abundant and pure. You won't be able to see snowfall during the summer months but you can still play with the accumulated snow on the ground.
    • Solang Valley or Snow Point. As the name suggests, this is another area with snow. You can also see picturesque views of the mountains from the background. The Mountaineering Institute also have ski lifts here which attract a majority of tourists. You can ski here, ride a snow mobile and even paraglide. Even in the summer months, you can find snow here. Fresh snowfall rarely happens though.
    And then, other places although it doesn't have as much snow here as compared to the ones I've mentioned above:
    • Gulaba. You can find this on the way to Rohtang Pass. There's some snow here in the summer although it isn't much. You can do snow activities like skiing but there's not much snow to do so. It's a great place to take pictures though.
    • Rani Nala. You can find this en route to Rohtang Pass as well. This is one of the few places that have snow all year round in Manali. Not much to do here but take pictures.
    I hope this helps!