1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow In Gulmarg In May

Discussion in 'North India' started by SandyS, Apr 28, 2016.

1. SandyS

SandyS New Member

Hello, forum members. I wish to go to Gulmarg in May (chosen May as this is when the children's schools holidays are). The main reason for going Gulmarg is the pleasant weather away from the heat where I currently live and in a high hope to see some snow, something which the children want to see as well as other members of the family and me. So to the point question is there snow in Gulmarg in May?

2. Deven

Deven Member

There are possibilities of snow at Gulmarg, but I doubt it whether it will be fresh fallen snow, it all depends on the weather situation, sometimes snow can fall early. You can either go higher up to Gandola or I would also recommend you going to Sonamarg where you will definitely find snow and see a glacier.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to the forum!

As you know, there are two phases in the Gondola ride in Gulmarg. From May to October, seeing snow on the Phase I might not be possible. So you have to book a Gondola for the Phase II if you'd like to see snow. Here are the ticket prices for the Gondola ride:
    • Phase I (Gulmarg to Kungdoor) - Rs. 700 for adults. Children below 3 years old are free.
    • Phase II (Kungdoor to Aparwath) - Rs. 900 for adults. Children below 3 years old are free.
    • Chair Lift (Kungdori to Mary Shoulder) - Rs. 250 for adults. Children below 10 years are not allowed to ride this.
    Phase II is located at Apharwat Peak. It is about 4,390 metres above sea level. This is the region that remains pretty much covered in snow in Gulmarg all-year round. During May, you will be able to see thicker and deeper snow here as compared to the months of June and July.

To reach the peak though, you'd have to hike another 100 metres. So make sure that you bring your winter boots and apparel as it can get very cold even in May. Or you can hire a ski guide to take you to the peak, which costs about Rs. 1,000.

The views from the peak are beautiful. There's some snow to play with as well although it's not as much as compared to the winter season. However, there's that possibility of snowfall as well in this area, although it's quite low.

There's not much facilities at the peak though so it's best to bring your own water and snacks. There are many eateries around Phase I but not in the Phase II.

Also, I'd recommend booking a ticket online as the queues in the Gondola are quite long. You'd still queue for the Phase I when you get there but for the Phase II, the queue is generally shorter.

I hope this helps.:)