1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sundarbans, The Dying Sensation Of India!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by travelguide, Sep 18, 2015.

1. travelguide

travelguide Active Member

Sunderban is the largest mangrove forest in the world which is also a home of close to 500 species including the famous Bengal Tiger. It is one of the hot tourist spots of India in West Bengal. But unfortunately the delta is now in a low lying region with a danger of being submerged under water. The Sunderban Coast is retreating rapidly up to 200 meters in a single year. Add to that the growing global warming and the rising sea level could make this beautiful place a history in no time.

So, if you are planning to visit this place, it is now or never.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'll have to research this place a bit more for my trip. It's always sad to read about beautiful things in our environment at risk of being submerged. I remember a few years ago reading an article about the Maldives being at risk of being submerged too, since it's such a low lying country compared to the sea level around it. I don't recall exactly how many years they said it would take (it may well be hundreds) but it's just sad that such beautiful places are at risk of going underwater.