1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Temples in South India

Discussion in 'South India' started by Mike, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Mike

Mike New Member

I have heard that South India is full of ancient temples which are a must see, and my next years trip to India involves visiting South India. I need to know in precise which part of South India I should visit to see the ancient temples, or which places are famous. My stay in South India would be around 2 weeks, so it is not necessary that it has to be just one location where I would visit, but please keep in mind that the trip should be easy and in order to destinations so everything is covered in the least amount of time.

Thanks members.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I stayed at Kumbhkonam for a few days as a base and made day trips to temples around there. There are dozens of centuries old temples and some of them very famous that you can see there. Hampi is another place I wont miss but other then that South India is huge and it would help to know what part of South India you would be visiting to give you specific answers.

3. BadBoy

BadBoy Active Member

Madurai has a lot of temples and the Best known is MEENAKSHI temple, get in there and you would get lost, its a complete maze ;)
    Trivendrum(Kerela) has many temples as well best known are Shree Padmanbha Temple. here men are allowd only in Dhoti and women in Sari's.

I would prefer you to visit in this manner Trivendrum>Kanyakumari>Madurai>Rameshwaram(it has a jotir linga)..
    There are n number of temples to visit in south, above mentioned places have well known temples....

Admin, DhongiBaba and ChaiNashta like this.