1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tiger Hill Darjeeling

Discussion in 'East India' started by JyotiMaheshwari, Apr 15, 2016.

1. JyotiMaheshwari

JyotiMaheshwari New Member

I will be going Darjeeling in mid-June with a few of my cousins, and I have a some questions particularly about Tiger Hill as it is a UNESCO world heritage site and it is the main reason for our visit.
    I will keep my queries simple and quick, as I don't need to know anything else apart from what I am going to ask. Thanks in advance to forum members.

1. As we want to get a view of Mount Everest and Mt. Kangchenjunga we want to make sure the weather is good. If we go in mid June can we expect clear weather?

2. If mid-June is not the time to visit Darjeeling, please suggest when the best time to visit is?

3. How far is Tiger Hill from Darjeeling city?

4. Are there any hotels to stay at near Tiger Hill?

2. Anurag

Anurag Member

1. The weather in Darjeeling is very unpredictable, and you never know when you may have a cloudy day or a clear day, or whether it's going to rain or the sun will shine. Mostly during June there will be clouds with rain, there will be the odd few days when the sun will be out, but like mentioned it unpredictable for the next day, let alone a month ahead.
    When you do visit Darjeeling and set off for Tiger Hill to see the sunrise, make sure you reach Tiger Hill by 3.30am to get the best seats and fantastic views.

2. An ideal time to visit Darjeeling would be in March or April. Weather is pleasant, and I would say fewer chances of clouds when you go to Tiger Hill.

3. Tiger Hill is around 10km from Darjeeling driving time would be around 40 minutes. When traveling to Tiger Hill in the morning, there will be some traffic as just like you there will be many other tourists going to see the view.

4. Yes, there are plenty of hotels where you can stay at near Tiger Hill, the nearest being only 3.5km away. This would be a perk for you seeing that going to Tiger Hill to view Mount Everest and Mt. Kangchenjunga is your main reason.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi! I'll try my best to answer these questions:

1. As we want to get a view of Mount Everest and Mt. Kangchenjunga we want to make sure the weather is good. If we go in mid June can we expect clear weather?
    • The monsoon season in Darjeeling starts from July to August. So in mid-June, you can expect that the weather would be quite great. You can expect some rain from time to time since it is approaching the monsoon season already. But generally, June is considered a summer month. Summers here can approach up to 25°C.
    2. If mid-June is not the time to visit Darjeeling, please suggest when the best time to visit is?

• The best months to really visit Darjeeling would be from March to May and from September to November. During these months, the weather is very clear and bright. Perfect for trekking and getting a clear view of the mountains.
    3. How far is Tiger Hill from Darjeeling city?
    • Tiger Hill is located 6.8 miles away from Darjeeling.
    4. Are there any hotels to stay at near Tiger Hill?
    • Yes. There's Villa Everest, Hotel Viceroy and Hotel Aliment which are all 5 kms away from Tiger Hill.
    I hope this helps!