1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tourist Attractions in New Delhi

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Wrangler, May 12, 2016.

1. Wrangler

Wrangler New Member

I need to travel to New Delhi later this month. It will be my first visit to the national capital. I want to make the most out of this opportunity to explore the tourist attractions in New Delhi to the maximum possible extent. I will have around 2 days off from work to visit the famous places of tourist interest in and around Delhi.

Will it be possible to cover most of the important tourist sites in 2 days? If not, then what are some of the must visit tourist attractions in New Delhi? If time permits, then I would also like to explore the Old Delhi a bit. So please include those as well in your suggestions.

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hi! Here's a guide on what are the best places to visit in Delhi, provided that you only have two days to do so.

First day, morning:

• Rashtrapati Bhavan. This is the residence of the president of India. It was originally designed by a renowned architect Lutyens.
    • Parliament House. This is home to the law-making bodies of India.
    • The National Museum of India. This is the largest museum in India, home to important relics and ancient items.
    • The National Gallery of Modern Art. This showcases the changes in the Indian art form throughout time.
    It's time to eat lunch, I recommend Connaught Place. There's lots of food stalls and even souvenir shops here.

First day, afternoon up to evening:

• The Old Delhi. You can visit the mosques and temples around this location. I can recommend Jama Masjid, Digambar Jain Temple and Bhagirath Palace.
    • The Red Fort. You have to visit this last so you can enjoy the Sound and Lights show that is only held during night time.
    Now, on to the second day, morning:
    • Archeological Park in Mehrauli. This park houses lots of mosques, temples and tombs.
    • Qutub Complex. Adjacent to the park is the Qutub Complex, which also has some tombs and temples along with ruins.
    Second day, afternoon up to evening:
    • You can now explore other places you might want to. Or maybe go shopping. The Garden of Five Senses has lots of restaurants and shopping stores. You might want to check that out.
    I hope this helps!

Admin, Chahal and Debapriya Deb like this.

3. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

@briannagodess has summed up the tourist attractions in New Delhi to perfection. Considering that you would have only 2 days to explore Delhi, it would be difficult to accommodate more in your itinerary. Even so, if time permits, I would suggest you to visit the following tourist attractions -

• Lotus Temple - An exceptionally beautiful piece of architecture in South Delhi that resembles a budding lotus flower.
    • Jantar Mantar - The famed architecture built by Maharaja Jai Singh which consists of 13 astronomical instruments.
    • Akshardham Temple - The largest Hindu temple complex in the world.
    • Tughlaqabad Fort and Mausoleum of Ghiyas-ud-din Tughlaq - One of the greatest historical sites of Delhi and a must visit place if you are a history lover.
    • Humayun's Tomb - The tomb of Mughal Emperor Humayun, the father of Akbar. This beautiful structure is also known as the 'Baby Taj' due to its architectural resemblance with the famed Taj Mahal in Agra.
    • India Gate - Do I need to say more about its significance? Certainly one of the most visited tourist attractions in New Delhi.

Regards,
    Deb

4. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

National Museum caught fire recently and there is nothing left of it except the burnt building.

5. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

You can always just stick to the travel guide, but that would mean you would also be competing spots in the tourist area with other people wanting to get the view of the place. Your best bet would just to ask the locals and get recommendations off them, that way, you get a more remote area that only the locals know, and you get to enjoy the serenity of the area without having to deal with other tourists blocking your way. It's a really fun experience, and I really think that the best parts are the ones NOT advertised by these travel guides. Good luck, and have fun!