1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Traveling to Shimla during Covid-19

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Prits, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Prits

Prits Member

I am currently in Delhi and due to lockdown and work from home pretty much have been stuck inside and being true I don't really want to go out in Delhi.

I have some family friends who live in Shimla and they are suggesting that I should visit them, but I am not too sure on how I can and what the current procedure is during Covid-19.

Please can members help me out.

2. Deven

Deven Member

To enter Himachal Pradesh you need to apply online from the official government site to get an epass. You would be asked to fill in details such as your name where your coming from and going to and the reason.
    If your epass is approved then you can travel to Himachal Pradesh but you would be put under a 14 day institutional quarantine. If you would like to avoid this then you need to get a Covid-19 test done. From a private by government known lab the cost would be Rs2800 per person.

Nong likes this.

3. Karan

Karan Member

There are some changes to be taken place in the first week of September regarding traveling to different states in India. So I would highly recommend that you wait, as there maybe a chance that you won't require a Covid-19 test before you enter Himachal Pradesh.

4. Monika

Monika New Member

I had some family friends who traveled to Shimla 4 weeks ago to stay with their family. What they had told me was that they got their HP pass and got a Covid-19 test done from Delhi, and they didn't have to get quarantined when they arrived in Shimla. I don't know whether you still require the Covid-19 test, but you can avoid being in quarantine when you get to your destination.

5. Dhruv

Dhruv Member

A new change in the rules now allows anyone to enter Himachal Pradesh without needing a pass, getting a COVID 19 test done, and not having to be under quarantine. So basically all are free to go from Himachal Pradesh and come into Himachal Pradesh.

6. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

Would that cover all states in India or just nearby places?

7. Deven

Deven Member

This rule now applies to all states in India now. So anyone is able to travel to any state from any state. Personally, I don't think it is a good idea because it's only going to increase the amount of Covid-19 cases!

8. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

I do agree, though borders are already open, it is still wise to stay at home. And probably lessen going out if unnecessary.

9. Pawan Ranta

Pawan Ranta New Member

There are still certain districts or areas(like Spiti valley) where travel/tourism activities are still prohibited. I do agree that travelling still is unsafe.

10. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I personally believe it is not safe to stay at hotels because one person in another room can infect the whole hotel staff and you sitting in your room where you will order food from and whoever delivers it to you will bring you the gift of corona with it.

If you absolutely have to come to Shimla then it is best to book a home stay outside of main city in places like Mashobra or even Kamyana.

I can tell you that OYO Homes is still closed or probably permanently closed in Kamyana as I live here myself so I know but Airbnb properties are open for guests.

Kamyana is 15-20 mins drive from Shimla and parking is not a problem here unlike Shimla where you will struggle to get parking every where including the hotel you stay at.

Have a nice trip if you haven't already made it. Don't forget to bring some warm clothes as it will get colder in coming days. During the day it is pleasant these days.

11. Kate Collins

Kate Collins Member

A good post and precaution. Good sharing.