1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vegan state

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Alexandoy, May 29, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

Is there a vegan area in India where meat is not allowed? When a friend learned that I have plans of going to India next year, he said that I should know the culture of the particular destination because India is a big country with different states having different culture. I am not a vegan but I can tolerate vegetarianism maybe for 2 days. The reason I ask this is because I might be locked in inside a place where food are for vegans only.

2. pravish

pravish Member

As far as I know, There is no State called a "VEG State in India". However out of the 29 states in India, 24 states have a ban on the slaughter of cows and on the consumption of beef. The states where there are no restrictions on eating beef are Kerala, West Bengal, Arunachal Pradesh, Mizoram, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Tripura and Sikkim. So you have to be careful to avoid having beef or even cooking it yourself when you are in any other state where the consumption of beef is illegal. You will find Chicken meat, turkey, goat meat, pork meat and all kinds of seafood. If you are visiting a holy place like a temple, you may not find restraunts which serve non-vegetarian food close by. But you may definately find a place a little far from the temples who serve nonvegetarian food. So you do not have to worry about being starved of Non-Vegetarian food at any place in India.

3. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Only a ban on slaughter of cows and bulls, beef consumption remains legal as far as I know. Please provide a reliable source if you believe otherwise.

I was at INA market the other day and canned beef is still sold there. I asked the shopkeeper if it was legal for him to sell and he replied its just slaughter that is banned, imported beef can be sold without breaking any laws. I am sure there must be something in the legal framework to prevent that as well because whats the point of having a slaughter ban if people start importing beef.

4. pravish

pravish Member

Yes, the storekeeper was correct about what he said. The canned beef can be imported and sold in the Indian market. The slaugher of cows and storage of its meat for consumption is illegal under the Cow protection laws in most of the states that I have mentiond. The punishments vary from state to state.The source for this information is "The Hindustan Times" a very popular and reliable news paper in India. I would like to post the link here for your reference-- More than 99% Indians now live in areas under cow protection laws, Gujarat has strictest rules
    Thank you.

Admin likes this.
  5. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

I do not eat beef myself but I fail to understand what the government is trying to achieve with this slaughter ban. Its not for votes as farmers who are getting no money for old cattle these days will not vote for BJP in the nest elections I know that for sure as I come from a family of farmers myself and this is a major cause of concern for farmers as their income has gone down.

pravish likes this.
  6. pravish

pravish Member

I do not eat beef too, but I believe everyone should be free to choose as to what they eat. The BJP claims that the protection of cows is paramount to boost milk production and therefore the Cow protection laws are enforced. They also believe that the slaughtering of cows is against the 'idea of India'. Now selling of old cattle for slaughter is also illegal which is something the government needs to explain and take measures to relieve the burden of feeding such cows without a single penny of harvest out of it. It is such a huge country with so many barriers towards solving a problem. Let's hope everything falls in place slowly and eventually.