1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Common Vegan Dishes?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by tomservo, Jan 24, 2016.

1. tomservo

tomservo New Member

What are some common dishes and popular foods in India that are vegan friendly? I know that lots of Indian food is vegetarian, but many of those dishes contain dairy.

2. Elaine

Elaine Member

There are a lot of vegan dishes you can choose from in India. I am not a vegan myself, but I love some of them. You can try Sambar, Chana Masala, vegetable Biryani and so much more.

3. tomservo

tomservo New Member

Hi Elaine, thank you for those suggestions! I have had Chana Masala before here in the states – I just had some in Seattle and it was great! Any other vegans, vegetarians, or even omnivores who like vegan food, with suggestions? Dish suggestions would be great since I am not that familiar with the names of dishes, or what they mean. Thanks!

4. tri-n-b-helpful

tri-n-b-helpful New Member

There are vegan restaurants in India and vegetarian ones that have vegan options. You will need to call them first. The best of them will make a vegan version of just about any existing dish with enough prior notice. Perhaps you have Indian Vegan restaurants locally who have suggestions, recommendations or contacts with Vegan Restaurants in India, or they might know of some dishes that are only made vegan.

5. Aidan

Aidan New Member

I agree. You can find vegan options in almost every vegetarian restaurant. A lot of people in India are vegans, so you won't be disappointed :)

6. Kristie

Kristie New Member

I love Chana Masala! I am not vegan either, but I do enjoy some meat-free dishes every now and then. Where is the best place to have it?

7. Travis

Travis New Member

I am not so much a vegan, but I don’t eat meat. I think eating or trying a few of these dishes would be right for me. I don’t mind so much if the food contains a little dairy, but not meat.

8. tomservo

tomservo New Member

Thanks for all the great info, everyone! It sounds like there's plenty of good stuff for vegans to eat in India. I can't wait!